Bahamas Current water surface and bottom temps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortis65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking for a site that can give me current surface AND bottom 60-90ft (20-30m) temps.

I've found a bunch of sites that give just a generic water temp 79-81F (26-27C), but I'm guessing that is surface temps. I have no experience diving in Bahamas, so I don't know where to expect the Thermacline.

Further, does anyone know the reef conditions post hurricane Matthew? The best info I've seen sofar is the Captain's log from the Bahamas Aggressor: Aggressor Fleet Captain Logs (Nov 5).

Thanks guys.

I don't know that I've ever encountered a thermocline there. There was no noticeable difference in any of the sites we visited in September. A quick check on my Shearwater dive logs showed a degree warmer in the top 15' on some of them.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a noticeable thermocline anywhere either. We dove the out-islands and I don't recall any change at depth. Even in/above a couple of the blue holes. Also we dove off the Banks a couple days and that's an area of the largest tidal exchange from what I was told. This would've been June - t-shirt temperature for me all week.

Here is my Dive Report from being on the Bahamas Aggressor for the week of Nov 26 to Dec 3 2016.

I loved diving with Aggressor. They have a great operation there. Captain Dennis runs a good ship. I'm told she was the first and smallest in the fleet, but I thought is was the perfect size, with beautiful wood work, and cabins. There were 13 guests (5 crew) on for my week, and some confusion about the organization of a larger party (6 men from France), but it all got worked out well on the first day. I ended up rooming with one of the group, and another roomed up in the bow with 2 Americans. The other passengers were great, and everyone got along well. There were only 3 women guests, and a total of 10 men. 2 divers on this trip were repeat Aggressor customers.

I'm rather glad I didn't take the forward cabin the bow, as there were rough seas on a few of the days, and 2 uncomfortable crossings. Being towards the stern, I was spared most of the wave action while underway.

The dive sites were in good shape, still showing damage from hurricane Andrew, and visibility was 40-60 feet most days. I suspect this was due to the wave action and surface currents. There was little to no current at depth.

Surface temps were between 77-79F, while depth temps were more between 75-79F depending upon the site. My choice to go with a layered 3mm shortie and a 3/2 wet suit was just barely enough. I was chilled after the night dives, and was thankful for the hot tub. I really wish I'd managed to find my 5mm hood before I left. I think a good 5mm suit would be my choice next time give those temps, and the dive frequency. My 3mm shortie will cut it for 2-3 dives a day with 81F water, but those few degrees and the surface wind made a big difference for getting chilled. I wonder if a tropical drysuit (DUI 30/30) is a practical option? I think I'd get some pretty weird looks.

There were a few wall dives, and many coral reef dives. We did a few dive sites with many reef tip [?] sharks. There were relatively small 4-7 feet, and were more curious about the divers than anything else.

The Bahamas has done a very poor job of managing Lion Fish. There were as many as 20 at one site, and 4-5 on every other dive site.

Thank you for reading my report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom