Baggage Allowances for Domestic Flights in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering a Similan Islands liveaboard trip and was curious about the implications of the typically lesser baggage allowances of domestic Thai flights for bringing one’s own gear and an underwater camera.

I would fly into Bangkok on an international airline and stay there for a few days to adjust before taking a domestic flight to Phuket for the liveaboard. The domestic flight would probably be a separate ticket and thus not receive the same international baggage allowance. I am curious as to how I could bring my own gear - is it easy and affordable enough to just pay for excess baggage, either at booking or at the airport? I am also wondering if or how I could bring my compact camera rig as a carry-on, given the often stricter carry-on restrictions of domestic flights, especially in Asia.

Those of you that have done something similar before - how did you pull it off?

If you're flying a budget airline, they will weigh everything and charge you at check-in or at the gate. You save by paying for excess in advance.

I recently came back from Koh Tao, flying Nok Air. I paid for an extra 10 kg for about $6 USD. I joined their fan club, which stated that I get an extra 5 kg for free, which I was counting on, but for whatever reason, it didn't apply. Luckily I was only 1 kg over when I checked in for the outbound and the gate agent let it go. Inbound, however, said I needed to remove 1 kg from checked first and waited for me to do so.

I would just pay for excess in advance.

On a recent Air Asia flight from Phuket to U-Tapao, my checked bag ended up significantly overweight (27kg as I recall) and they had me transfer some stuff to my carry-on backpack - which ended up about 15kg (I checked later) but they didn't weigh carry-ons. I was traveling with a full set of dive gear plus an underwater camera rig with lights.

It's also worth paying attention to the type of plane you'll be flying. If it's a puddle jumper, propeller plane, overhead bins are much smaller. If the wings are above and your seat is under the wing, the bins are only half height.

Good point - while Air Asia's fleet is composed exclusively of Airbus A320 variants, Nok Air has two ATR-72s and eight Bombardier Dash 8s in service - those are high-wing turboprops.

In my experience, the rate for booking extra checked baggage on e.g. Air Asia is quite reasonable. I usually just book a 30 kg checked bag so that I know that my big bag of diving equipment will be accepted without issues.

I just got back from Koh Samui and flew on Bangkok Air. Wow, what a cute little plane! (atr 72).
I can see why they may want to limit baggage. It's not a large carrier.
However if you do get on BA, there's a mileage program you can also join that adds 5 kg to your already small limit.
Definitely pay for additional baggage in advance!

I knew I wasn't diving too much so I ended up renting gear and leaving mine at home. So luckily no additional charges for me!

Back
Top Bottom