Bag for travel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chappys4life

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am looking to buy a new carry on bag and am thinking of a backpack style bag. I usually take 2-4 day trips when I fly and for any longer could use a roller I already own as overflow.
I am new to traveling with scuba gear so I am unsure the correct bag sizing. I am really eyeballing the Timbuk2 Aviator but it is 28L Convertible Travel Backpack - Avaitor Travel Pack 2015| Timbuk2 Bags.

I would be carrying:
-Fins
-Regulator/Octo/Computer
-Mask/Snorkel
-GoPro
-2 pairs of shorts
-1 pair of pants
-4 or 5 shirts
-Socks/Underwear

Also any recommendations on shoes that can be worn on the dive boat and while out to minimize.

28L is definitely too small even with reduced travel bag like yours.
Anyway the limiting object in your case are the fins, because you didn't list boots I assume that they are full foot.
Do yourself a favor: measure their length and try to figure if they fit in the bag.
For shoes while aboard: nothing or flip/flop (thongs - sorry I'm not English).

Thanks for the reply. yes you are right I forgot the boots. Great idea on the measuring I didn't think about it.

I am looking to buy a new carry on bag and am thinking of a backpack style bag. I usually take 2-4 day trips when I fly and for any longer could use a roller I already own as overflow.
I am new to traveling with scuba gear so I am unsure the correct bag sizing. I am really eyeballing the Timbuk2 Aviator but it is 28L Convertible Travel Backpack - Avaitor Travel Pack 2015| Timbuk2 Bags.

I would be carrying:
-Fins
-Regulator/Octo/Computer
-Mask/Snorkel
-GoPro
-2 pairs of shorts
-1 pair of pants
-4 or 5 shirts
-Socks/Underwear

Also any recommendations on shoes that can be worn on the dive boat and while out to minimize.
I suggest you closely check carry on size limitations for the various airlines you expect to travel on. The current standard US dimensions are 14 x 9 x 22. That pack seems to be too big.

Also be aware that some of the smaller commuter planes have tiny storage compartments. When we fly from Toronto to Houston we can carry on a standard bag but it will get skychecked at the plane door since the planes compartments are too small. Lots of people have to scramble to unload the things they need for the flight.

Shoes: I wear water proof sandals on the plane. No other shoes needed. I do not wear any shoes on day boats in the Caribbean.

Also note that you can carry on 2 items. 1 is your carry on bag, the second is a "personal item" (purse). The allowances for the personal item vary by airline.

I am purchasing the Stahlsac Steel Duffel. Check it out.

Just my two cents. I don't think, I would need a special gear bag for traveling on a plane. Any normal suitcase does the job. The need for something special emerges, when you have to use it on a dive boat or another dive site. For that purpose it should rather be a "soft" bag rather than a hard suitcase. It should allow you to separate wet and dry stuff. It should also not leak in your car trunk. Ideally it could be used also as a tank for soaking and rinsing your gear. Have a look at Apeks DRY75. That may serve your purposes.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom