Bag-Drag timing - 3:45 arr into Cancun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So let us know how it goes.
Smooth as silk. The single-sided FMM form I printed was accepted with no issue in CUN. The immigration agent just tore it in half, stamped both halves, gave me the one side and said don't lose it. The 2nd page (with the instructions) he tossed in the trash. We were not given a customs form on the plane, and no one wanted to see one. I just walked through the "nothing to declare area" without issue.
(The longest/only delay was waiting for the bag at the carousel - almost 25min while a million bags from a DFW flight came out.)

I got pesos from a Santander ATM before exiting to the street (declined the lousy exchange rate they offered), and used WhatsApp to text Jose, Chief's guy, who has you wait at the Margaritaville by Terminal 3. Sent him a selfie to aid identification. Jose sent Sergio to drive us. We pre-arranged a roundtrip fare of $95, (more than the ~$80 Chief mentioned, but I didn't feel the need to keep haggling.) I gave Sergio $50+tip, and will give $45 after the return next week.

It took 45 min from CUN to the street at the ferry, not counting 5 min stop at 7-11 for a can of Modelo Negro. The bag drag to the ferry wasn't as long as I recalled from last time - maybe 5-7 min?

Winjet and Ultramar are both running every day, alternating departures on the hour. We made the 5pm ferry on Winjet; the 6pm would have been Ultramar.

Bottom line: my flight arrived CUN ca. 2:45, and we were on the ferry by ca. 4:45. The bag drag let me get a non-stop to CUN from PHL, which was well worth it, IMO.

780 peso plus tip for up to 4 people

I should be getting free as much business as I send him.

You used to have to negotiate with him. Also I think he is so popular, he might be farming out the extras? But try negotiating. Pesos is always cheaper if you got them.

We are actually going into Cozumel today. Just left Hou Hobby.
I tried for 800 pesos. He replied "We can do it for $95 US. We know Señor Hileman, but our business cost are now diferents, We are at your services."

I decided to gave the guy a break and didn't haggle further. He's not getting rich in any event.

As you suggested, he's farming out the extras. I communicated with Jose (Jhony) with WhatApp when we arrived, and he sent Sergio over to drive us. Sergio was just fine.

We were not given a customs form on the plane, and no one wanted to see one. I just walked through the "nothing to declare area" without issue.
Thanks so much for the transfer report. It's odd that no one wanted to see a Customs form, that happened to me on the way back in Houston, but great.
We pre-arranged a roundtrip fare of $95, (more than the ~$80 Chief mentioned, but I didn't feel the need to keep haggling.) I gave Sergio $50+tip, and will give $45 after the return next week.
I don't know if I should be happy for you excessive tippers making up for people like me or irritated?
The bag drag to the ferry wasn't as long as I recalled from last time - maybe 5-7 min?
Were there tricycle porters handy or do you travel light and drag your own? Well, I can hang my roll-on onto one of my checked bags and drag all three on their rollers, backpack on back, but I don't enjoy it.
I got pesos from a Santander ATM before exiting to the street (declined the lousy exchange rate they offered)
:thumb:
Bottom line: my flight arrived CUN ca. 2:45, and we were on the ferry by ca. 4:45. The bag drag let me get a non-stop to CUN from PHL, which was well worth it, IMO.
Nice timing. I take it that Immigration was not busy. It can take that long there at times.

What excessive tip? I didn't specify the tip given. @DandyDon are you referring to the "premium" I paid over the rate Chief gets? It seems reasonable that a very regular customer who sends lots of business his way might get a better rate that an average Joe like me.

Many friends view me as a bit - um "cost conscious" in many things, but as I look at it, anyone who can afford our expensive sport - even if of very modest means by US standards - is WAY better off than the guys driving taxis in QRoo. And with what covid has done to the service industry (in the US) and all regions dependent on tourism, I HAVE found myself willing to part with a few extra coins. You may call me "stupid", but I view it as semblance of humanity and compassion.

What excessive tip? I didn't specify the tip given. @DandyDon are you referring to the "premium" I paid over the rate Chief gets?
Earlier I misunderstood the rates Chief quoted as roundtrip, but he clarified he was quoting each way so I removed remarks about fares. What I saw as an overly generous tip was $50 oneway on a $95 roundtrip fare. but I guess I misread that as well. You gave him $50 for the trip plus a tip. Now I understand, thanks.
I gave Sergio $50+tip, and will give $45 after the return next week.

You may call me "stupid"
No, I never said that. I just misread your post as a tip of $50+ instead of $50 for the far plus a tip.
Were there tricycle porters handy or do you travel light and drag your own? Well, I can hang my roll-on onto one of my checked bags and drag all three on their rollers, backpack on back, but I don't enjoy it.

I didn't notice the porter up at the street where we were dropped off, but didn't mind dragging the bags. I might have had a tricycle guy take the bags, if I had seen one, but it wasn't a big deal for me. BTW, I can see why Chief likes to be dropped off by the ADO bus station... it's both shorter to the ferry and the pavement is smoother.

Immigration wasn't busy at all. One person ahead of me; winding my way through the empty switch backs took longer than getting through the actual document check. It was a Monday afternoon; I suppose it would be worse on other days (Saturdays?)

There was no customs check going into Mexico - they just stopped people "at random"; I'm sure US customs will want the card filled out for my return, although they rarely check me. I have Global Entry and the kiosk scans my face, asks if I have anything to declare, I say "no", and it gives me a printed receipt I wave at both the immigration person and the customs folks.

Sorry if I misread your comment about the tip. I received your original (unedited) post by email and it seemed you thought I had "negotiated" a rate greater than double what Chief paid; I took that to mean you thought I was really dumb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom