Bad rental equipment with H.Parkey in Belize area.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomsuelaw

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
While on a cruise, we dove in Belize Jan, 09 through NCL's excursion desk. They use Hugh Parkey's Dive Connection. My husband and I both had an issue with our dive equipment. On the first dive, my depth gauge broke (got stuck on 10ft). It worked out because I stayed close to my hubby and we used his gauge. At the surface interval, the DM banged on my gauge and got the needle unstuck. On the second dive, my hubby's gauge got stuck on 0, so we used mine which was clearly working at this time in addition, we stayed close to the DM and others in the group to be sure we were ok. When we talked to the DM about it, he didn't really seem like he cared. It was sort of like "oh well, your ok so what's the big deal". But, in our opinion, it is a big deal, because bad equipment could lead to accidents. :no:

Other then that, we did not have any problems with H.Parkey's dive company. If you don't need to rent, they are probably fine. We only dove that day (through the cruise as stated). The scuba resort thier seemed ok (small and a little on run-down side). A little bit of a "roughing it" feel, but that wouldn't bother us, as we are campers. Now that I think about it, the resort has a "summer camp" feel to it, yes, summer camp on the beach with scuba. LOL.

The problem you experienced is not all that unusual. Buy a dive computer, they pack small.

Hello Susan and Tom. I am sorry to hear you had such an experience with our operation. Not to make any excuses but the operation did experience several glitches during the last winter season though what you went through with rental gear and DM's reaction should not have been one of them. We make sure all crew have spare equipment on board along with extra hoses and gauges. Equipment is serviced regularly and all DM's and Instructors are also Equipment Service Technicians and should be able to repair scuba equipment apart from banging on it. Unfortunately we do run into problems every now and then but I can assure you we have maintained a high standard and level of professionalism that has allowed us to keep our contract with the cruise lines for the last seven years. We just recently opened Belize Adventure Lodge on what was previously Spanish Bay Resort. Though we own the entire 180 acre island less than 20% of it is developed and we intend to keep it that way. It is highly unlikely you will get the true experience of the Lodge on a cruise ship dive especially if there are several ships in port and no one is around to give you the attention you deserve. We are aware that we are many divers' introduction to Belize diving and do a lot to make them want to come back to Belize. We always have enough staff and our boats spacious enough to eliminate the "cattle boat" feel. On a regular day we have about a handful of divers on our 46' Newtons with all the personal attention they deserve. The Lodge is laid back though without the "summer camp" or the "roughing it" feel. Our dive sites are close by except for the Blue Hole which is about an hour and a half away but the Barrier Reef is within 10 mins. and Turneffe Atoll under half hour. If you are ever in our neck of the woods again give us a shout and check out our place. We are also at every trade show. I will forward your comments to the Management Team as we prepare for the upcoming busy winter season to make sure everyone is prepared. Take care and enjoy your diving.

Integrated pressure gauges are vulnerable to water being driven down the hose into the instrument. This is usually because there is water sitting in the tank valve and it hasn't been expelled by opening the valve before the regulator is fitted. Sea water is especially harmful. Combine that with the prevailing attitude that rental equipment looks after itself and is immune to maltreatment and it's easy to see how this sort of thing happens. Remedy? - improve your equipment handling procedures.

Hello Susan and Tom. I am sorry to hear you had such an experience with our operation. Not to make any excuses but the operation did experience several glitches during the last winter season though what you went through with rental gear and DM's reaction should not have been one of them. We make sure all crew have spare equipment on board along with extra hoses and gauges. Equipment is serviced regularly and all DM's and Instructors are also Equipment Service Technicians and should be able to repair scuba equipment apart from banging on it. Unfortunately we do run into problems every now and then but I can assure you we have maintained a high standard and level of professionalism that has allowed us to keep our contract with the cruise lines for the last seven years. We just recently opened Belize Adventure Lodge on what was previously Spanish Bay Resort. Though we own the entire 180 acre island less than 20% of it is developed and we intend to keep it that way. It is highly unlikely you will get the true experience of the Lodge on a cruise ship dive especially if there are several ships in port and no one is around to give you the attention you deserve. We are aware that we are many divers' introduction to Belize diving and do a lot to make them want to come back to Belize. We always have enough staff and our boats spacious enough to eliminate the "cattle boat" feel. On a regular day we have about a handful of divers on our 46' Newtons with all the personal attention they deserve. The Lodge is laid back though without the "summer camp" or the "roughing it" feel. Our dive sites are close by except for the Blue Hole which is about an hour and a half away but the Barrier Reef is within 10 mins. and Turneffe Atoll under half hour. If you are ever in our neck of the woods again give us a shout and check out our place. We are also at every trade show. I will forward your comments to the Management Team as we prepare for the upcoming busy winter season to make sure everyone is prepared. Take care and enjoy your diving.

HP, Thanks for replying and explaining things. I debated long and hard whether to share my experience with your company. I tried very hard to be objective as possible and give you a fair shake as a whole. Just to clearify, the only issue I had was with the equipment. Other then that, it went ok. The DM's were very nice and had fun personalities. Please don't consider my subjective opinion about the resort area to be bad. It had a great charm to it and my husband thought it would be a cool place to stay. Thank you so much for your kind, understanding reply. We will consider that when making future dive arrangements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom