bad manta, great time playing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Yesterday saw 12+ foot swells, so we skipped the dives....but the seas were flat so we did play with some manta rays. The food that has been in the water has changed - more little stuff, less big stuff - and the mantas have spread out a bit. Most of the males I snorkelled with were on a mission...not going fast really, but definitely giving me a workout! I finally hooked up with a group of five that included one huge female. She was just looping around and around feeding. I did a lot more viewing than I did picture taking and the photos I did take are decidedly ho hum.

But this one makes me smile - shot with the WAL at full wide...and this was as she sank a little...she'd come up behind me as I was watching two males cross over and she skimmed my belly (always exciting to be touched from underneath unexpectedly :11: ), then sank ever so slightly before flapping in another lazy circle.

Although I am sad I didn't get any keepers from this trip out, I am pretty happy to have had the experience - and no photos just means I have to go out and do it again!!

mantacutopbad.jpg

Well, I am very very jealous of both the picture and the experience! At least I will have a chance to get wet in less than 48h!

Sounds like a nice way to spend the day!

Great picture, and that had to be so much fun!

Wow....you coulda kissed her! I envy you the experience. :dazzler1:

Actually i quite like that one, interesting angle that you don't see all that often. The schooling fish give it a nice touch as well. Next time just get the gaping mouth instead eh!?

Didn't you know that being touched by a manta brings 7 years good luck?

Thanks, everyone...it sure was another nice day and a very special experience!

Mike Veitch:
Actually i quite like that one, interesting angle that you don't see all that often. The schooling fish give it a nice touch as well. Next time just get the gaping mouth instead eh!?

Didn't you know that being touched by a manta brings 7 years good luck?

Sure, I'll beep my remote control and make her stop just in time with mouth wide open next time (surewould like to have one of those some days!!) :eyebrow: And I find I get a lot of blowout when I do get the mouth wide open...have to practice some more, clearly!

If I get 7 years good luck when a manta chooses to touch me, then I am set for a long long time...she rubbed me three times and one of the others stroked her fin along my side two other times - all good contacts, not just split second touches. I love playing with mantas!!

Back
Top Bottom