Bad experience in Mahahual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

N_22

Registered
Reaction score
I have seen some somewhat good reviews about Blue Ocean Safari diving centre on the internet, and felt that I wanted to warn all divers out there who otherwise might get the wrong idea.
We did the open water course in august, which was supposed to last for 3 days. We did not recieve a copy of the book, and were told that this is normal. We had delays every day; sometimes the boat never came, sometimes the tanks, or when they came they were empty. We had to reschedule our leaving day, since we got so delayed. Which was not funny since we had to fly later in the day.
Today, late november, we still have not received our cards, nor is the centre listed on PADI´s list on certified diving centres.
We have emailed and asked for our certifications countless times, and did not even get a reply from the owners. The only person who seems to care over there is our divers instructor, who has emailed us and apologized. This whole things is just so upsetting, and the complete lack of interest for their costumers is scary! I did not post any reviews before, since it´s a somewhat new centre, and we tried to be understanding about it, but enough is enough. I´m sad to say, but I would not trust this centre with my business. They had a lovely instructor who tried her best, but Phil and Julie, the owners, just don´t seem to have a clue about how to treat their customers. It´s amazing how you can have the nerv to put up a PADI sign without being licensed, and think you can get away with it!

So, beware, and remember to check out the centres better then we did!

Their shop is not a PADI affiliate - but their instructors may be. Also, their US and Toll Free phones are disconnected.

Ianr33,
I really wish that would be the case, but I´m sorry to tell you that instead I´m a 22 year old european female who hasn´t been able to dive since august, since I´m not certified.... Only reason why I signed up for this site was that I read some, like I said, somewhat nice reviews about this place, and just got so pissed about the situation once more. I think the guy called himself Torontonian or something. By accident I have vacationpics from the centre with him.... so if you really doubt me we could always get him involved.... :)

daniel f,
do you have any tips for us what to do about all of this, eg there´s no way for us to prove that we paid in cash, pesos, Mexico....? Could PADI maybe help us? Thankful for any ideas....

Where is your log book? You should have filled out a log book at the end of each dive with your instructor's signature. If your instructor was good, as you've said, then she will have also signed the area in the book (assuming it is a training agency's log book) stating you have met all the criteria. If you used a different type of log book that page probably isn't in there, but your training dives should be.

You may be able to contact the instructor directly to get the information you need to get certified.

Alcina,
this is the thing, we never got the padi open water textbook.... we had one copy we used for reading and exercises, and went through those, but we have nothing left that we could use as our log book. About our instructor, since I don´t really have anything to compare with it´s hard to say, but she made us feel safe and confident during our dives, and is the only one who has contaced us after we left, and already there was complaining to the owners.... this is why I don´t feel that I can say anything bad about her. But the fact that we still don´t have our certifications is the same.

If I would now email her once more, can I ask for something so that she can certifie us through somebody else then this nonworking diving centre?

Did you get their PADI instructor number, or can you ask that they give it to you? Even without it I would contact PADI and provide as much info as possible - instructor's name, dive shop name, location and contact info, dates of your training... IF the instructor is in fact an active PADI instructor then they can teach and certify through PADI regardless of whether or not their dive shop has paid the marketing fees to PADI to be a "PADI resort" or other center.

You didn't receive any sort of itemized receipt? I'm in Mexico a few times a year and the dive shops I use always provide us with an itemized receipt when we settle up at the end of the trip. The one time they didn't have one already done for us, I asked for it and it was provided. Even at this point, try asking for something that could be emailed to you verifying when you were there and what you paid for.

Not getting a "PADI crew pack" is not unusual. It's not a standard inclusion anymore as it once was. I have had 3 friends who did PADI open water diver in Mexico, all in different locations at different times. One was with us on a vacation in Akumal. None of them got the PADI "crew pack" included in their course fee. The courses stated they included materials, and they did. It simply meant they were provided with the books to read and video to watch to complete the course, not that they got their own to keep. The one who had decided to do their certification and arranged everything in advance was advised to buy the crew pack, read the book and watch the video. BUT, they all got a PADI logbook and it was properly completed and signed by their instructor. They were also given a temporary certification card (just a paper card completed by the instructor) and the PADI forms to send in on their own to get their permanent card.

I hope you're able to resolve this issue and get your C-Card. And hopefully sharing your experience will save someone else the same disappointment.

scubawife:
Not getting a "PADI crew pack" is not unusual. It's not a standard inclusion anymore as it once was. I have had 3 friends who did PADI open water diver in Mexico, all in different locations at different times. One was with us on a vacation in Akumal. None of them got the PADI "crew pack" included in their course fee. The courses stated they included materials, and they did. It simply meant they were provided with the books to read and video to watch to complete the course, not that they got their own to keep. The one who had decided to do their certification and arranged everything in advance was advised to buy the crew pack, read the book and watch the video. BUT, they all got a PADI logbook and it was properly completed and signed by their instructor. They were also given a temporary certification card (just a paper card completed by the instructor) and the PADI forms to send in on their own to get their permanent card.

I also did my open water certification in Mexico, in Cozumel, and did not receive the PADI crew pack nor the log book while I took the course. This is not unusual, as you mention. I did receive however a temporary PADI card as soon as I passed my tests, and my instructor sent the forms to PADI to certify us as open water divers. The PADI certifications arrived home maybe 3 months afterwards.

I agree with scubawife that the best would be to contact PADI directly and give them as much information as possible so that they can look for your name and the name of your instructor in their files.

Yup, you need to make sure you have your instructor's name and PADI number. If you contact her she may be able to forward the necessary paperwork to you or to PADI for your certification as she should have a record of it all herself.

It will be really tough to get much joy from PADI if you don't have at least the instructor details as there is no way they can chase up what was done or not done. You telling them what you did won't count for much as you don't know the standards or what was really meant to be in the course. Only your instructor can evaluate which criteria were met and only she will be able to explain it all to PADI. Don't be surprised if she is a little reluctant to do this - she's broken at least several standards and is going to have to be a bit sensitive when she talks to them, but it can be done without too much trauma.

If I had to lay money, it looks to me like 4:1 that you'll have to do the course again.

I for one dont understand people not wanting to get certified BEFORE they go off to some exotic location. The training is not as good IMHO and from what I have seen the divers are just not as well trained. Of course someone will follow me and disagree profusely and that is fine. But if it were a friend of mine I would do all I could to get him/her certified at home with someone I know well.

Back
Top Bottom