Bacteria levels at La Jolla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I live on the east coast and I am planning a trip to the west coast. I wanted to get in the water at the Cove and the 7 Caves in La Jolla but I have read about the seals and the poop and the bacteria. Everything I have read makes it sound extremely likely that you will get sick in you swim or snorkle in the water. What is the current situation? Are the bacteria levels still 10 times a safe level like reported 6 months ago?

bacteria, la jolla, california, seals, snorkel, swim, kayak,

Tons of variable! Rain, tides, current, # of kids/dogs on the beach.....

San Diego County Beach Status - San Diego Coastkeeper

Looks like there are a few spots... The children's pool is like the ruins of an enclosed saltwater pool that limits the circulation. Seals are one theory... kids and or domestic runoff are another...

In general don't dive storm drains or areas where the water can't circulate well.

Depending on what part of the east coast ...water temp and vis. may be bigger issues than seal poop... (a shower, ear drops, sinus rinse, and a stiff drink can't hurt)
But if the temp is not an issue you may like to hop on a boat. some rent gear...cool wrecks, kelp, and they can drive to better vis...

There is a tiny shop at La Jolla Scuba Diving San Diego & La Jolla... It may be worth talking to Jack, Tiffany, or Chris.... that would be an easy spot to rent gear or get air Jack and Tiffany are great DMs( maybe higher too) and it would be worth a few buck to have them take you out. There are cool things there right now if you know where to go...and are comfortable with the conditions...

Good luck

You could always dive a drysuit, ffm, and doc's proplugs.

I know San Diego locals who dive the Cove regularly and none of them have complained about getting sick. I did some diving there myself back in March and didn't get sick either. I see divers, snorkelers, and swimmers in the Cove frequently when I'm out there. Of course, all this doesn't mean it completely safe. It does mean there are a lot of folks out there who aren't overly concerned.

-AZTinman

Not sure the Cove or Shores are that bad (although Children's Pool is apparently due to large aggregation of harbor seals). Keep in mind that water temps in the SoCal region are fairly cold so bacteria tend to be much less of a problem there than in tropical waters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom