Backwards Water Entry with rEvo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I boat dive (in Perth) of a 21ft boat. I put my bailout in the water first. I clip it on to a piece of rope that's attached to a boat and also a float. Rollback holding mask and dsv then clip on in the water. Just an idea as it might allow you to keep the loop from getting water in it.
bailout.png

I double clip it now btw.

Is the OPV adjustable? I'll have a chat to my instructor when he's back from vacation.

But t this stage I fear that I have inadvertently c**cked up the OPV.

Regards
Yes they are adjustable
Take it apart, one of the flappers is probably inverted or there's sorb or debris stuck in there.

Yes they are adjustable
Take it apart, one of the flappers is probably inverted or there's sorb or debris stuck in there.

Yes that was exactly the problem thanks .... It looked like a more complicated procedure than it actually was, in the end it was pretty simple. Clean some weed stuck in it and give the spring a little bit more tension 1.5 turns, back good as new.

Thanks FOR YOUR HELP

Yes that was exactly the problem thanks .... It looked like a more complicated procedure than it actually was, in the end it was pretty simple. Clean some weed stuck in it and give the spring a little bit more tension 1.5 turns, back good as new.

Thanks FOR YOUR HELP
Good to hear you found the source of the leak.

I'm going to have to pack that info away in the back of my noodle if I ever have that issue. I would not have expected the OPV to be a problem if it held a negative. But now I guess it could be.

I'm going to have to pack that info away in the back of my noodle if I ever have that issue. I would not have expected the OPV to be a problem if it held a negative. But now I guess it could be.
Almost every OPV in existence, suit, CCR etc. has 2 flappers in it. If one of them has debris in it when the OPV burps you will get a slug of water going backwards. Sort of like when you hold up the power inflator and keep trying to dump your wing, water ends up going in since there's only one open/close mechanism. So in this case, one flapper held the negative but there was debris in the other. So when the one good one opened, in the water went.

The sitech/viking "hazmat" drysuit dump has 3 flappers in it. Everyone else i'm aware of has 2.

I have replaced the OPV on my rEvo before. I only recall it having one flapper? What am I not understanding here?

I have replaced the OPV on my rEvo before. I only recall it having one flapper? What am I not understanding here?
I am not sure of the newer units. Mine originally had a lower OPV that was nothing more than a fancy OPV from a BCD and was notorious for leaking when bits of sorb would get into it when it "burped". they soon changed the design to the top mounted ones that had both an o-ring and a silicone washer to seal up and these could leak when the burped if the o-ring dislodged gluing the o-ring in place solved that). I have never seen one that had 2 different sealing areas though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom