Backup System for Shallow Shore Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Assuming you only do shallow shore dives (<30') while soloing, what size tank would you take? SAC rates vary of course, but just as a gut response for now. Also, taking no breathing redundancy is not an option for me. I'm trying to find the right balance between "enough gas" and simplified rigging. I previously (10 years ago) used a 30 cu. ft. cylinder, but I was doing deeper dives.

To perhaps make this a bit silly, you know what the extreme case would be of course? Yes, SpareAir, ha. I'm not at all saying that's the answer here, but now I'm curious, does SpareAir (2 cu ft?) ever make sense?

--
David

<30ft the "backup" is a CESA. Exhale and stand up. Bringing more stuff you don't need is just more to get in the way, more drag, more snag hazards.

Less than 30' of water is called Free Diving. Bring a torpedo float and a bottle of water.

If you can safely solo dive, then you can probably make it up from 30 feet by swimming and exhaling. If you must carry a back up, a spare air or 6 ft pony bottle should work. If you are worried about boat traffic, an emergency supply may make sense.

<30ft the "backup" is a CESA. Exhale and stand up. Bringing more stuff you don't need is just more to get in the way, more drag, more snag hazards.

My theory and practice as well.

(Provided it isn't under boat traffic or with likely entanglement hazards.)

I use a 6 cf pony. I've tried and I can make it up slow enough and have a 3 minute safety stop from 130'. Would I want to in an emergency - nope. But then, I do my best to avoid any chance of an emergency. To me that's more important than how big my pony is.

A couple of things that I consider. First, I maintain all my equipment myself. I wouldn't let anyone else pack a parachute for me if I was into that (I'm definitely not). Second, I'm almost always at 60 feet or less. The 130' test was just to make me more comfortable at 60'.

Do I go below 60' with a 6 cf pony - yep. Do I stay long - nope. Would I go anywhere that I don't have a direct path to the surface - nope, Nope, and NOPE.

There are people who will tell you that you need a 30 cf or 40 cf and some will tell you that anything less than an 80 cf will kill you. SOme of that is based on supplying your buddy. I don't buddy. I dive solo so no buddy to go OOA and need my pony.

I plan for what is vanishingly likely - it could happen, but it's far more likely that I'll get hit by lightning while being run over by a bus. For me, 6 cf is fine. I used to carry a 13 cf but decided for the diving I do that a 6 cf was plenty and much easier to deal with logistically and while underwater.

David. Is your profile page correct? Are you 15?

Depends on exposure protection, the more layers the more gas

When soloing, I dive sidemount twins. For 30' dives 2x7 L (2xca.50 cf) normally would suffice, though it depends on the duration and exertion.

Haha, I think your response is completely fair considering <30 ft; however, I still want a small tank for extenuating, albeit unlikely, circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom