Backup Regulator (Octo) Setups with the Kraken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kmart921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering, how do you all have your backup regs / “safe seconds” / octos set up with your Kraken? Hose length, brand of second stage, how it’s secured, how it’s routed etc. I trawled the VDH forums and was surprised that there wasn’t a thread on this. I typically dive with a long hose primary / bungeed backup and previously dove with an Air2 for a short while, so it’s frankly unknown territory for me.

I unfortunately have not gotten much of a chance to play around with my new Kraken yet outside of a pool session a few months back, so I haven’t experimented myself. My initial thought would be to have it on a 40” hose secured to my right shoulder D-ring with a snorkel keeper. However I’ve heard mixed opinions over whether snorkel keepers actually work or not. I also might want to pick up a smaller dedicated second stage to use as an octo in that case (my current 2nd stages are pretty bulky).

On my Kraken, I have one of Bryan's Argonaut Seconds (with original red hose). Can't remember the hose length. On my PRAM, I have been using an Apex Egress (or Oceanic Swivel 180) on 40" hose. Keep in mind, it is for someone else, not you, so you need some length to hand it over. For retaining them, I have been using a magnetic holder.

YMMV

My initial thought would be to have it on a 40” hose secured to my right shoulder D-ring with a snorkel keeper.

That's the setup I use. I find it easy to deploy and streamlined. The second stage is a G250-but that's a personal preference.

Edit: I see the big guy was answering your question at the same time my slow fingers were doing the same. I have to admit, I did not consider the Lefty Lucy aspect as I use a long (40") flexible hose.

Okay, I’m sold on the Argonaut Safe Second. For some reason I thought the lefty configuration meant it got routed on the left side, but this makes a lot more sense.

Thanks all!

40" hose clipped to right d-ring. It's on a first stage swivel so it routes down.

I use a 40” hose with a 90 degree elbow and bungee that under my neck. It’s purely cosmetic but I got one of the red HOG Duroc’s they made briefly with a red braided hose to match the red silicone hoses on the Kraken.

40" hose clipped to right d-ring. It's on a first stage swivel so it routes down.

same, but comes off of the main Kraken first stage. Standard 40" hose from a stage bottle *which is where it gets taken off of when I use it. I use a Jetstream so it's non directional, and I have a loop bungee just under my right D-ring that the showerhead loops into. Stays secure. Unfortunately only works with that second stage. If I was using a standard one, I'd use the Hemphill bungee loop and clip it to the d-ring

same, but comes off of the main Kraken first stage. Standard 40" hose from a stage bottle *which is where it gets taken off of when I use it. I use a Jetstream so it's non directional, and I have a loop bungee just under my right D-ring that the showerhead loops into. Stays secure. Unfortunately only works with that second stage. If I was using a standard one, I'd use the Hemphill bungee loop and clip it to the d-ring

Mine is off the Kraken first stage, it's just on a first stage 90 degree swivel because it routes the hose down instead of out. It's purely an artifact of how the Kraken ports are arranged. Normally I'm not a fan of swivels on first stages, but I don't mind making an exception for my warm water rec rig.

It's also the only second stage I use Brett's bungee method on. I don't like it for other diving, but for this it works out ok.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom