Backup lights? and other problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gcbryan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone sell a decent backup light. I have a Dive Rite LED that would be great if it wasn't a piece of crap :) I like the small size for attaching to my shoulder D-ring. I like the 7 white LED's so I don't have worry about replacing bulbs, power usage is negligble, and the white light is good for reading gauges. But it has the twist on/off actuation that seems to be common in smaller lights.

It either doesn't turn on when it's supposed to or doesn't turn off. The light flickers every time the batteries move. Most lights that turn on and off in this manner usually flood shortly after I buy them. I would like a light similar to this one with a standard on/off switch.

What better backup lights are out there?

Problem #2...I have a SS boltsnap on the hose to my primary reg which I use to clip off to my chest d-ring as I get out of the water. It doesn't always lay flat against the hose and sometimes sticks out and lodges against my necklaced backup reg restricting my arm movement for example if I raise my arm to check my wrist mounted timer. Anyone else have this problem?

Problem #3... I have my primary reg hose (48") routed under my right arm. Sometimes this is comfortable and sometimes the reg doesn't stay comfortably in my mouth and I find myself holding the reg in my mouth with my right hand to releave the stress. With a swivel it seems that this should work well but it doesn't always. Any ideas on how to make this setup more comfortable as opposed to going with a longer hose and rerouting things?

The backup light problem is my main concern. I'm sure I can tweak things a bit and fix problems 2 and 3 but and suggestions would still be welcome.

I have a manta by green force industries. It is twist on and off but there are somethign like four o rings where the head goes into the body, so I do not think that I have to worry about flooding. It does not seem to flicker at all, Mine is the 1 watt LED but now they have a 3 watt LED out. You can also look at a Scout, Mini Scout or a Salvo back up light.

If I was you I would look at maybe gettting a 5' hose. I think that will solve you hose routing issues. I dive with a 7' hose and have alot of dive buddues that dive with 5' hoses that never have and issuse with the reg tugging at their mouths

gcbryan:
Does anyone sell a decent backup light.

Good backup lights:
Halcyon Scout
Gulftex Photon Torpedo
DIR Zone Solaris

The latter two have double orings and do not accidentally turn on under pressure easily.

Problem #3... I have my primary reg hose (48") routed under my right arm. Sometimes this is comfortable and sometimes the reg doesn't stay comfortably in my mouth and I find myself holding the reg in my mouth with my right hand to releave the stress. With a swivel it seems that this should work well but it doesn't always. Any ideas on how to make this setup more comfortable as opposed to going with a longer hose and rerouting things?

The answer to your problem is the one you don't want to hear. :) Get a longer hose. It routes better and gives you more room. 5' will route under your arm and behind your head. 6'-7' will route under a cannister light or tucked into your waist belt then behind your head.

I had the same problem with inexpensive backup lights, and whined about it. I'm currently using Bob's Photon Torpedo and it has yet to turn itself on OR flood. Clearly the better made lights can use the twist-on/twist-off design without flooding.

How do you have the bolt snap connected to your primary? Mine is tied on with cave line, and just hangs limply from the hose when the reg is in use. It doesn't get in the way of anything.

I'm with everybody else about just giving up and going to the other hose routing. Although my husband uses a 40" hose with a swivel, and he's happy with it.

Although my husband uses a 40" hose with a swivel, and he's happy with it.

1. Husband is NOT using a 40" hose -- wife switched him to 5' hose so that he would be prepared for his Essentials class next weekend.

2. Prior to that, Husband was using a 34"(?) hose and needed the swivel -- I was too cheap to get the 40" one since I had the other one and it was superior to the 24" the reg came with!

Who knows, maybe I'll stay with the 5' one (inertia) or maybe change to a 40 with the swivel to route under my arm.

(Note to self -- stay with the 5' -- at least then there is some protection against being drawn closer to the Dark Side.)

Peter Guy:
(Note to self -- stay with the 5' -- at least then there is some protection against being drawn closer to the Dark Side.)
But if you had a 7' hose you would be 2' further from the dark side. :D

I use a Pelican Sabrelite 3c. It has been a great backup so far. I may replace it someday with a Scout or something simliar but dont see a need at this time.

gcbryan:
Does anyone sell a decent backup light.
What better backup lights are out there?

Problem #2...I have a SS boltsnap on the hose to my primary reg which I use to clip off to my chest d-ring as I get out of the water. It doesn't always lay flat against the hose and sometimes sticks out and lodges against my necklaced backup reg restricting my arm movement for example if I raise my arm to check my wrist mounted timer. Anyone else have this problem?

Problem 1.

Halcyon Scout
Heser
Photon Torpedo
GreenForce

Problem 2.

Tie the boltsnap with the correct knot and it moves very freely and will hang down.

Problem 3.

Use 7ft. hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom