Backup light recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still using the DIRS 1000 lights. I don't even notice them on my shoulder straps. Even in sidemount.

I'm still using the DIRS 1000 lights. I don't even notice them on my shoulder straps. Even in sidemount.
I refer to those as “fish bashers.”🤣😁

I typically carry both a DRIS 1000lumen (3c cell) and a much smaller Dive Rite BX? (Takes an 18650 or 3 aaa). Both are super reliable and put out a lot of light. The DRIS light lasts a lot longer but is over twice the size. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either again.

Seconded. Have a couple LM 2W, a couple of the Edd blue ones that I’ve broken, the old Intovas, etc. Waiting on a pair of BX2 just to be done with it. The CX2 are tempting, but too large for what they are. Brings everything down to a primary, an LX20+ as backup primary, and 2 BX2.

What are you waiting for. They (BX2s) are available.

I have two of the DGX600s, one button for my helmet and one twist on for the pouch. I also bring one of the old Piranha (probably Dorcy, I can't remember) 6 AAA lights. I had two of those, one died when the batteries leaked. Now I keep the cage out for storage.

The DGX lights are really bright, the problem with the twist on version is that it's full power only, maybe a 90 minute burn time if that. The old piranha/dorcy light is way less bright but advertises an 8 hour burn time. The nice thing about all these lights is that they're cheap and they work. The DGX lights are practically bright enough to be used as a primary. We're getting really spoiled by lights these days.

Mine is the BX2. Why? Mission capable. Might be to much for some and not enough for others.

Another vote for BX2. I have pair of those and they are well build, sturdy and provides very good price, performance and quality ratio.

One of my buddies uses Orcatorch D520’s, they are more slimmer and lighter, also cheaper I believe but good lights as well.

I just picked up 2 of these on Saturday, haven't got to test them out yet.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom