backup light recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jacek

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
can anyone recommend a good backup light with a dual O-ring seal.. something like the diverite tec light or the oxycheq little johnson.. anything else out there? cheap preferably? thanks :06:

Why the dual o-ring requirement? I carry a Princeton Tec Surge as my back-up, it doubles as my daytime light also.

A word of caution:

I'd been carrying the PCa as a backup light, and finally decided to test it in Mexico on a 100 foot dive. It wouldn't turn on at depth, and I tried -everything-. I stuck it back in my pocket and forgot about it for the rest of the dive, although I was quite a bit miffed. Later on the boat, it worked fine. Huh?? On a subsequent pool dive to 12 feet, it still ran OK. Was it just a fluke, or a design problem?

I've disassembled it a couple of times since the problem, and can find NO obvious mechanism for it not turning on at depth. I'd used it fine in Florida at 30-50 foot depths last year, and it ran trouble-free. It's been a great little light, but if I can't trust it at depth, it's gonna stay home with the other flashlights that aren't dive-able. Just imagine that you're in genuine trouble, and even your backup turns up dead...

The owner of one of our more technical shops dives the PCa as a backup, and hasn't had the same problem with it that I have, so something odd went on there. He's taken his down to around 200 feet without any issues, but I'm not certain he actually remembers *using* it at that depth. The spec sheet lists it for 300 feet max, but my experience would suggest a LOT more conservative depth rating.

Feel free to add flames, but it's a true report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom