Backup light batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's my point. NiMH batteries are unreliable. I had fully-charged NiMH batteries showing full voltage. You'd think they would be fine. But then - BAM! - in a matter of a minute they're dead. How can you predict which fully-charged, full-votlage NiMH batteries will last and which will die in a matter or minutes? You can't. That's my point.

Not the kind of performance and reliability you'd want in a critical piece of equipment like a backup light.

Sounds like a bad, cheap charger. The cheap chargers will run 2 amps into a battery for an hour and drastically shorten it's life span. A better charge will have a microcontroller in there, to monitor temperature and adjust it's algorithms accordingly. The best will offer a conditioning routine, where they deep cycle the battery and often bring them back from the dead.

I bet if you put the batteries in a charger that could condition them, they would come back to life.

I put rechargeables in my wife camera and strobe and they lasted all week. (she took around 400 pictures.) Just depends how you treat em.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom