Backup Computer/Gauge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
When diving with an AI Watch what type (if any) of backup computer/gauges does everyone use? When the AI works it is great, but they don’t seem to always connect (not 100% of the time).

Thanks

J

I backup my AI computer with a second identical model, both synced to the same transmitter. I use an earlier model Oceanic which costs less than $100 bucks. I don't have any serious issues with lack of connection- sure there will be an occasional lost signal but it doesn't last that long, usually under a minute. If you're having more serious issues then you need to figure out why and fix it.

When diving with an AI Watch what type (if any) of backup computer/gauges does everyone use? When the AI works it is great, but they don’t seem to always connect (not 100% of the time).

Thanks

J
I've been diving an AI primary with a non-AI backup along with a SPG since 2010. I do not have problems with sync, Oceanic computer and PPS transmitter.

There was a recent poll, related to your question, you might like How do you dive?

I backup my AI computer with a second identical model, both synced to the same transmitter. I use an earlier model Oceanic which costs less than $100 bucks. I don't have any serious issues with lack of connection- sure there will be an occasional lost signal but it doesn't last that long, usually under a minute. If you're having more serious issues then you need to figure out why and fix it.
2 AI computers and a single transmitter is not fully redundant for gas. If one of your computers fails, you'll be fine, if your transmitter fails, you're out of luck.

Carry an SPG for back up. I've been diving with AI computers, for recreational diving, since the late 90s. Other than a battery going bad I've never had an issue with a computer failing to pair with the transmitter whether before or during a dive. Back in the 90s there were some people who had issues with this, especially when using a camera.

My primary is AI and I carry an SPG. My backup dive computer is an Oceanic Veo 2. Worst case is I use a Veo 2 with the SPG.

Primary is a Perdix AI - I’ve had zero issues with transmitter connections.

Backup - a console with an SPG and Suunto Zoop Novo.

Seriously considering ditching the console, and the backup computer and just going with an SPG, at least for all my local dives. For multi-day, multi-dive trips I might still carry a backup computer.

I don't need a back up for OW diving. I do seem to always have 2 PDCs on me every chance I get, though. Usually a Teric and a Descent. If I'm in a cave then it's a Teric, a Perdix and a Descent. If I'm on a rebreather it's Petrel w/CAN and a Petrel w/Fischer, but they aren't AI. I do wish they would enable AI on a Petrel.

Back
Top Bottom