Backscatter vs Nauticam Vacuum system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shallingsam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Looking to get a nauticam housing for my Sony A7Rii, but don't know which vacuum system to get. Thoughts? I've heard pros for both.

I have a Nauticam housing for my Canon 70-D and it has the Nauticam vacuum system. I'm very happy with it and have had no problems. Got a red light one time and I was able to get to the surface quickly (only about 30 feet down at the time) and got it on board. Turned out there was a hair from my border collie over the gasket. It never leaked, but it gave me the warning I wanted.

I've got the Nauticam vacuum system for my classic Canon 7D. Worth every penny.
If you want peace of mind, reliability and seamless integration... no need to experiment. You won't go wrong sticking with the tried and true.
Cheers,
Ricardo

The last I saw, Backscatter didn't have a electronic vacuum and water leak detector. I had a friend who flooded a Hasselblad SWC film camera a few years ago with just a vacuum system only. The vacuum valve cap leaked and flooded the camera under pressure. You need both the vacuum system and the detector. Also, the Nauticam cap is more protected than the exposed hardware on the Gates or Backscatter. IMHO, no contest: Nauticam, especially if you have a Nauticam housing. I have one and am much less stressed than before it was installed.

Last edited:
I can’t comment on Backscatter’s but I recently purchased a Nauticam housing for my RX100IV and also purchased the vacuum system FROM Backscatter in Monterey. It is worth it. I’ve done about 31 dives on it so far and opened it twice a day for battery changes and backups/memory card swaps. The green light is comforting. I prepare the camera and housing then vacuum it about an hour before I want to go diving. Right before diving if it’s still green I know I’m good to go. It’s intuitive and incredibly easy to use. That along with the water sensor gives me some peace of mind. It’s not obnoxiously bright but easy to spot during dives. Can’t miss it during night dives especially when on the boat. :)

I highly recommend it. I know it’s a chunk but you’ve already invested so much into this hobby. What’s another couple hundred? :wink:

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I got the M14.

I had the backscatter kit on my D7000 housing, and the Nauticam on my D800 and D810 housings. I like the newer Nauticam setup better, mainly because it easy to use, integrates perfectly, etc...that said, they both do the same thing, and both work great.

I will get the Nauticam housing for my next camera, which is probably the D850, but not sure...maybe A7RIII or the yet to be released Nikon FX mirrorless. We'll see...not in a hurry.

The Nauticam housing will come with the electronics built in, you only have to buy the valve, USA prices are $220 for the nauticam valve (includes pump and installation tool) or $324 for the backscatter system. No contest really, the Nauticam system is great, you could have spend $100 more to get the backscatter valve but that is a universal valve designed for multiple housings, it will work but no added benefit and it's not as neat an installation. Just tick the add valve box when you order the housing, installation is dead easy of the supplier may well install for you.

I have a Nauticam Housing for my Sony A6000. I ordered the Nauticam Vacuum Valve for it, and IMHO, it was well worth the additional price. Installation took less than 5 minutes and it gives you piece of mind. I don't see any value added with the additional cost associated with the Backscatter valve.

One quick note ... no matter which system you go with (get the Nauticam), you will see a bright green LED indicating that the system is working and that the vacuum is holding. I was concerned about this bright light being distracting while using the camera. It isn't. In practice, you really only notice it when you look specifically at it to check it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom