Backscatter Service Department

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

js1221

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just wanted to to throw out a quick plug for the Service Department at Backscatter. On a recent liveaboard trip to the Sea of Cortez trip my Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe flooded. It was a saltwater flood and upon surfacing I dumped out the batteries, gave it a quick freshwater rinse and then buried it a bag of rice for several days. After four days I took it out of the rice. There was a lot of corrosion but I put new batteries in it and it worked. I continued to use it for the rest of the trip. Upon my return I called Backscatter, to inquire if they know who might be able to check it out and clean it up. I was advised to pack it up and she it to them, they would do it in-house. Within a day of them receiving it, I had a written estimate for the repair/replacement of parts. The service time took less then a week and the repaired strobe was pressure tested to 200 feet before it left the shop. When it can back it looked good as new. They also found a crack in the strobes front lens, which I was unaware of and they replaced the lens, at no cost. Just wanted to pass on a good word for them, in case you ever need their help.

Backscatter is a 5 star operation

Got an MF-1 from them a week ago and it was defective. Shipped it back monday and hoping for a similarly quick experience!

Never put wet electronics in rice.

Several years ago (2009ish???), I ordered a Dome Port from them with an integral Zoom Gear. The Zoom Gear was mis-aligned when it got to me. I called them and told them about it. They told me to drop it in the mail sometime in the next couple days & they would "Overnight" a new one to me immediately. I asked if they meant that they would Overnight the new one to me as soon as they receive the damaged one, and they replied something to the effect of "Nah. The one you have is broken. What are ya going to do with it? We trust you to return it. Just send us the tracking info when you get it in the mail."

Would they ship out the replacement today before they get the damaged one back? I honestly don't know, but I found the level of trust that they extended to me refreshing.

There is no doubt in my mind that they are a class act.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom