backscatter removal side effects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys,
I got an issue with removing some backscatter. I know there's the spot removal tool in Lightroom, and that works for small quantities, but not for large quantities of backscatter. For the latter I use either median or dust & scratch removal filters.
However, if the backscatter is extensive, I get a blotchy effect that's really not that appealing. You can see the effect on the bottom left corner on this link:
_C281670-Edit | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I tried gaussian blur but that significantly altered the colour of that area so that its obviously altered and no longer smooth with the rest of the image.
Anything I can do to remove that blotchy effect?

Sometimes there is just to much of it. Seems like you are shooting one strobe and directly at the subject
You should try aiming right in front to avoid backscatter it is amazing the difference it can make

I had it to the side but I guess I should have checked the LCD better and pushed out the strobe further. I actually used 2 strobes.

When you say "aiming right in front", what do you mean with that? Surely you don't mean straight from the front of teh camera directly to teh subject? because that would caus emore backscatter

i meant aim the strobes straight ahead in front or even a bit outwards

The other thing is to get closer as no matter what you do if you are too far you go get backscatter as the beams of your two strobes meet

Seems like the left strobe was stronger maybe because the sun was on the left?

ah, you are talking about "feathering" the strobe, yeah, turning it away from the subject so only the sides of the lightbeam touch the subject would reduce backscatter.
As fro the difference in light, I might have either switched off the right strobe, or pointed it outwards too much, or maybe set it to a lower power setting. i don't really remember.

Back
Top Bottom