Backscatter Flip Filter Dimensions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesBon92007

Contributor
Reaction score
Southern California...too far from the ocean
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Can someone who has a Backscatter Flip Filter please give me the dimensions of the frame that fits onto the camera? I realize they have them for different models of GoPro so I'm most interested in one that would fit a housing that measures about 39 mm X 39 mm. If it's a little wider it should probably still work.

I have emailed Backscatter plus eBay vendors and have not received any replies. I cannot find any dimensions on the Backscatter web site. I have also emailed eBay vendors of the Chinese flip filters and received no replies from them either. Considering how many non-GoPro cameras there are out there I would have thought that they would want to sell to those people too.

Thank you.

33B44A5C-744D-4328-AD3C-D912986BC0E4.jpeg

Here is what I measured:

GoPro Hero4 OEM dive housing
36.0 x 33.5

GoPro Hero6 OEM dive housing
42.6 x 38.6

Backscatter Flip3 frame
44.6 x 38.6

You will need a lens port adapter (see link). The adapter for the Hero4 is pictured. The Hero6 adapter is much thinner. Hope this helps. Not sure where the 39 x 39 is coming from....

Backscatter Underwater Photography & Video

Last edited:
View attachment 451727

Here is what I measured:

GoPro Hero4 OEM dive housing
36.0 x 33.5

GoPro Hero6 OEM dive housing
42.6 x 38.6

Backscatter Flip3 frame
44.6 x 38.6

You will need a lens port adapter (see link). The adapter for the Hero4 is pictured. The Hero6 adapter is much thinner. Hope this helps. Not sure where the 39 x 39 is coming from....

Backscatter Underwater Photography & Video

Thank you! The 39 X 39 is coming from an non-GoPro camera, specifically a SJ7000.

1 1/4" or 36 mm inside on the longest dimension, 1 3/4" or 43 mm outside.

Got it right here on my desk, came in today's mail to replace the one I lost when I removed the Flip system from my Hero 4 and forgot to take the frame off, thanks to Backscatter for replacing it quickly and for only a few bucks.

Even though it's flexible because of the break in the frame, you won't get 39mm out of it.

Even though it's flexible because of the break in the frame, you won't get 39mm out of it.

That is what I was hoping not to hear :wink:

There seems to be a different model for the Hero 6 so the 42.6 X 38.6 looks like it should work for me. I used a ruler to measure it so I could easily be off by .5mm.

Thanks for the measurements! I bought a Fitsill dive case for a gopro 5 and was trying to figure out if the backscatter flip 6 filters would work on it. My case measures 42.6mm wide x 38.2 tall at the lens protrusion so the Flip 6 should work on it. :)

(I went with the aftermarket case since you don't have to remove the "lens cover" from the gopro 5 and the camera stays waterproof inside the case.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom