Backscatter Flip 3.1 Yellow "ghosting"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KnowledgeIsPower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
So I'm about 2 weeks away from my first dive trip! I'm a pretty new scuba diver so I'm not expecting the smoothest footage, but I am going to the Maldives so I want to capture SOMETHING.

I bought a GoPro Hero4 Silver, Seadragon Mini 600 lumens, Sealife Aquapod, Backscatter Flip 3.1.

I know editing in post will give me the "best" results, but I am willing to be a little lazy and stick with the aftermarket dive filters. I know a lot of people have said good things about the Backscatter Flip 3.1, and I like that it allows you to mount 2 different filters at once and flip at the proper depth.

My only concern is that a lot of youtube videos that show it in use (including Backscatter's own promo video) show a lot of yellow ghosting around the edges of coral, etc. Is this normal for dive filters or is it specific to the Backscatter brand? How can one avoid it, or can it be removed in post?

Thanks for the help!

Can you send a screen capture of the ghosting? Not sure what you mean. Could it be the image reflecting on the 2 surfaces of the filter material?

A non-related advice: try to enjoy your first dives and not worry about filming it too much, you won't make memories by watching a video at home. Also keep in mind that multitasking on your certification/first few dives is DANGEROUS.

Not sure about the ghosting myself as I have not had the opportunity to use mine yet. As toozler said maybe just take the camera with you on your first dive and never turn it on. That will allow you to get your weight dialed in with the camera. The first dive will not be epic anyway. They usually do a site just across from the harbor which is nice but there won't likely be any big animals or the like. They are more interested in watching you dive and verify that you are not likely to kill yourself or your buddy. After that you will make a run out further into the atoll and see some really great stuff.

I watched the video. It seemed like some of the yellow ghosting was from the "shallow" (don't remember the name) filter which has a slightly yellowish cast also. I shoot regular video with a red filter and above 20' it makes everything yellowish - I wonder if that filter does the same thing slightly deeper as well - some of that demo footage wasn't much deeper than 30' or so. I'm not sure the tops of those sponges weren't actually slightly phosporescent also. On some of the demo, they seemed to be the only thing out of whack - the yellow striped fish looked ok.

The deeper stuff with the "deep" filter didn't seem to have that problem. Since you can flip them in and out, I'd do some experimenting. Do you have a BacPac? Otherwise that will be hard to do also.

Yellow is about the hardest color to remove in post editing. And requires tools beyond the scope of most >$100 editors. Try to avoid that if possible. White balance is easier to restore than cast balance correction generally. Shoot some known white things occasionally if possible. Some editors allow you to "tell" them what is white by selecting one and will auto color balance to it. Or allow you to manually make adjustments.

I don't think Cineform does, but IDK the program that well as I use Sony products.

Thank you for the advice about filming while diving as a new diver. While I am certainly not anywhere near being a good diver, I have 11 logged dives (6 after my Open Water) and am starting to feel more comfortable. I am taking AOW in the Maldives and don't plan on video taping during the course. I feel by then I should be good enough to be comfortable holding a GoPro while diving. We spent too much money on video equipment + this vacation to not have at least some footage :)

As for the yellowing, I still notice it on the deeper stuff as well; maybe I'm being picky...For those that were wondering here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze66k7Kvi8E

Watch 25 seconds in all the way to the end. I actually feel that it is very noticeable on the deeper dives (look 1 minute and 25 seconds in up to 1 minute and 40 seconds)

Interestingly it's not noticeable on moving marine life, but only on stationary objects (like coral, rocks, the shipwreck, etc). Has anyone seen this type of yellowing with other filters as well at deep depths?

What's weird is it's not as noticeable in many of the user uploaded videos on YouTube which is quite surprising as you'd think they'd want their promo ad to look good?

See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmaPzQR1v0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIp9ZunmtWQ

But one thing I noticed is these were shot with video lights. The promo video was with no lights until the very end. But then:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-2oaNUJL2o

This video with no lights has the yellowing. So I feel that lights can definitely help (as everyone on these boards knows). Just curious what people's thoughts were. My Seadragon Mini 600 is nowhere near enough light but it's not bad for the price and better than nothing? I can't really afford anything more expensive at the moment.

Then I came across this video with no lights and they didn't seem to have any issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1LfgJi64z8

Sorry for the lengthy post I am just trying to figure this out so I can get the most out of my first vacation dive trip :)

My theory is that it's caused by refraction: that the thick filter material "bends" a portion of the natural light bouncing from the subject when it travels through it.

Much like in the picture below, but the filter being the water. That creates this ghosting slightly of to the side (which is yellowish/orange, much like the filter itself). Makes sense?

fig1.2.1.jpg

As of the filming on your first dives: how about having someone do it for you? It's the Maldives, I'm sure they can offer this service. I've seen that even in "cheapo" Ko Tao, Thailand.

My theory is that it's caused by refraction: that the thick filter material "bends" a portion of the natural light bouncing from the subject when it travels through it.

Much like in the picture below, but the filter being the water. That creates this ghosting slightly of to the side (which is yellowish/orange, much like the filter itself). Makes sense?

View attachment 197349

As of the filming on your first dives: how about having someone do it for you? It's the Maldives, I'm sure they can offer this service. I've seen that even in "cheapo" Ko Tao, Thailand.

That makes a lot of sense! I've seen a few videos with SRP that have the same issue (you may argue they're less severe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCoXUTMz3Pk

But I will also ask if someone on our dive can film for us, thanks for the tip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom