Backplate: SS vs AL for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bamabowtie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I did my OW certification with a standard BC, but I am purchasing a BP/W for myself now that the class is over.

I am a muscular build and I am pretty negative. I dive Jet fins.
I will mainly be diving the local quarry and warm water tropical destinations. At the quarry I will be diving a single LP77, 5mm wetsuit, hood, gloves, HOG 32# wing.

My warm water diving will be a single AL80.

I want to have a BP that will serve me for both diving locations. Based on my diving needs, should I get a SS BP and run the risk of being over-weighted in warm water or get an AL BP and have to add weight pouches but not run the risk of being over-weighted with no way to remove the weight.

In my opinion a SS backplate is so much better since you are distributing more of the negative weight in the plate itself. I dive with a 5 lbs ss plate and I don't need any weights. It's so nice to dive without any weights around your waist. In the other handi hate traveling with my SS plate.

I also have an AL dive plate. Its been sitting in my closet for almost 2 years. So if you dont mind carrying the extra weight in your luggage then go for SS. Else go for AL.

What area are you diving? I'm considering a BP/W in SS. I'm in the seattle area so the cold water requires more weight.

I went with the 6lb SS plate and a 30lb wing for singles...

Every configuration I have ever dove that included more exposure protection than a pair of swim trunks has required at least a few pounds of lead to make things work correctly(been diving aluminum 80's thus far).

I decided on the SS plate to keep as much of the weight off my waist as possible(I really do not like weight belts and use weight pouches on my harness and tank band currently). Even when slightly overweighted and with an empty wing, I have been able to easily swim my rig to the surface without ditching weight.

Maybe some day I will want an aluminum plate when it comes time to travel by air to some awesome tropical paradise to dive, or perhaps I will get some steel tanks (doubles hopefully) that have different buoyancy characteristics. When that time comes, I will either shell out fifty bucks or so for the plate or pay the extra luggage fee for the added weight...

I will be diving warm waters of the SE United States (Alabama and Florida mainly)

I also won't be using an STA (not sure how much weight that adds)

I'm thinking it may be just easier to have an AL BP and just add some weight pouches to the mix.

Does 5lbs from the SS BP REALLY make traveling with it that much more difficult?

Diving my SS+STA (8#) setup without a wetsuit is ridiculously negative. I might suggest an AL backplate and a weighted STA, and leaving the STA at home for the warm water trips, although I know that might cause issues with the HOG wing.

Diving my SS+STA (8#) setup without a wetsuit is ridiculously negative. I might suggest an AL backplate and a weighted STA, and leaving the STA at home for the warm water trips, although I know that might cause issues with the HOG wing.

What issues should I be aware of?

I think the HOG wing has the anti-roll thingies so you don't need an STA to stabilize the tank. I'd think that they'd get in the way of an STA; you might need to remove them or something. I'm sure someone with one will be along shortly to comment.

Back
Top Bottom