DIR- Generic Backplate for doubles: 1 hole or 3 at top where cylinder attaches ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive singles right now with a Halcyon backplate and wing. I'm moving to doubles. I'm a bit top heavy so I'll try an aluminum or titanium backplate.

I've been told to get a backplate with 3 holes at the top. Let's say I rent doubles in Mexico. If they don't quite fit right, I can't move the tank bands since it's a rental. I could move the doubles up or down if there were more than one hole on the backplate.

Is this good advice?

Pictures of backplates from OMS and Halcyon attached for reference. Three holes vs. one.
oms_backplate.png
halcyon_backplate.png

I don't find the extra holes help. Usually all the extra holes allow you to do is move the tanks HIGHER with respect to your head.

For doubles, most problems with tank position is related to the tanks being too high or bands being too low, and the extra holes don't fix it in that direction. Either rent doubles from places that set them up properly or will let you move the bands.

Downside of having multiple holes is not having a consistent setup each time you assemble if you aren't paying attention. For someone new to doubles, this inconsistent plate height can be a considerable cause of frustration.

I would first try and video yourself in the singles rig to see if you are top heavy and if correcting trim can be done through being in the right position.

When you are in doubles, the bands should be as high up as possible to the crow of the tank. I would first try doubles with your backplate before changing things. A Doubles Primers may be a good way to try them out for the first time.

I would first try and video yourself in the singles rig to see if you are top heavy and if correcting trim can be done through being in the right position.

When you are in doubles, the bands should be as high up as possible to the crow of the tank. I would first try doubles with your backplate before changing things. A Doubles Primers may be a good way to try them out for the first time.

Thanks for the thoughts. I should have been more clear. My trim is perfect with singles, but top heavy with doubles. That's why I thought I'd get an aluminum or titanium backplate.

With my current Halcyon SS backplate, the twinset position is just fine. I've been told that rental twinsets can have their bands in different positions, and that's the problem I'm trying to address.

Mer and others have given you great advice, but just in regard to the single hole in the Halcyon, you could have holes cut in your current bp.

A friend of mine who is a steel worker drilled 2 holes lower in my small Halcyon bp, so they're as low as possible. Another friend drilled 2 holes higher in my Halcyon wing (plus added 2 grommets), so that the wing sits a couple of inches lower. This keeps that long wing off my head while the bp is not too low, since I'm very petite.

So, you could just have holes drilled into your existing bp if you wanted to.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom