backplate and wing weight systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris D573

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hi all, i am a newbie and i currently have the hollis solo bp/w.. i would prefer a weight system (pockets) that attach to the plate and harness so im not using a weight belt as well as the harness. However i do have a weight belt i can use.

first question is can i use the weight belt with the setup? and secondly which of these options would be best?
1. Hollis 10lb. Weight System LX - Elite 2 / Solo / Switchback - Divein2Scuba | Scuba & Spearfishing SUPERSTORE Australia

2. XDEEP Two Piece Weight Pockets XL Size (6 kg each)

3. Dolphin Tech BCD Weight Pocket - 7kg - The Scuba Doctor Dive Shop

i was leaning toward the Xdeep pockets so i can use my existing 4.5kg curved hip weights but unsure of how interchangeable they are between brands

thanks

I have a couple set of the Hollis weight systems that I took of some gear I bought to resale. In my opinion if you are using these with a BPW you might as well just be using a regular BCD, they are kind of bulky. How much total weight are you using now? You could always distribute your weight by putting some on your plate or tank straps then the remainder on a belt.

Those weight systems are very clunky and lifting them as you do up your harness belt ughh! The harness belt should sit up high, top of your stomach so there is plenty of room for your weight belt and the other half of the weight you require you can hook up to your plate somewhere. Centre of gravity!

How much weight do you need? if its just a block or two then just get some cheapy trim pockets with 2" webbing slot and put them on each side of your tank cam bands. Easy out of the way and you would never know they are there.

If you need lots of weight then might consider switching to a 6mm SS backplate or getting weight pockets like this that tuck behind your wing:
Грузовая Система Fly - Helium Dive
weight-system-3x-2.jpg

bp-fly-3-e1596458788293.jpg

DSC_7441-e1514658848573-600x415.jpg

thanks for the input. i may just use the weight belt to get me through the refresher / drysuit course and see what they say.. to answer how much weight were talking about i dont yet know. this is my first set of gear
i weigh 100kg.. have a standard faber 13kg? ss plate 2.5kg and intend to use a trilaminate drysuit... so %10 of me = 10kg and the drysuit ?1kg?
the second hand belt i have has 13kg on it atm. 2 X 4.5kg hip plates and 3 X 1.4kg
I very much like the solutions above but i think i want something ditchable while im learning? Unless the idea is to ditch the harness if it came to it?
My last dive in Cairns AU was wierd.. i emptyed my bcd and just floated there untill the instructor grabbed my ankle and helped me down.. then i was able to complete the dive but felt that boyancy was difficult /all over the place. something i dont remember being any issue at all when i got my open water 10 years ago. underweighted i think..

For drysuit and single tank, I have a 16# plate..... For doubles, I don't need extra weight.

YMMV

I've had a love/hate relationship with "integrated" vs. weight belt when diving bp/w in cold water, single cylinder and drysuit. I have mostly used a weight belt for additional weight for 2 reasons:

1. Putting all the weight on the rig makes it heavy, to the point where my 30lb wing would not quite float the rig if I were to remove it, and I really don't want to use a bigger wing.
2. Putting all the weight on the rig would make me extremely positively buoyant should I ever need to remove the SCUBA unit underwater (Realistically, how often have I ever had to do that though?......).

If you feel like you really must have ditch-able weight and you really can't manage with a weight belt then you might also consider the Zeagle Zip Touch weight system. I don't see these come up a lot on these discussions but IMHO they are better than the other options you have identified because they attach top & bottom to the backplate and therefore the weight is carried on the plate and not sagging on the waist belt. They are also quite streamline compared to the other options as they sit well back towards the plate, are tucked in behind you and are more vertically aligned than the other options so don't bulk up the streamlined BP/W system too much.

Just one more option for you to consider :)

who makes the 16# plate?

DSS (used to.... - always nice to find one, somewhat "unicorns" now....)

6# long pattern SS Pro-Fit and 10# of their integrated weight plates for it.... :thumb:

My last will and testament could be interesting.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom