Backplate and wing setup for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEWARE OF THE ABYSS!!! It starts with two wings, next thing you know, you have an inventory of tanks, bands, regs, wetsuits, drysuit, masks, and a HUGE collection of all things scuba related!!! Ask me how I know this!!

Nothing at all wrong with DiveRite (I own some of their stuff and like it). That being said, DO NOT GET A DUAL PURPOSE WING!!!! Listen to what we are saying....

Dive Rite makes quality gear, but I am not a fan of the unstructured open center section on most of their wings. Listen to the previous advice on avoiding the “jack of all trades, master of none” multipurpose wings. I often see great deals on used wings for doubles that look new. I recently bought a new Blue Reef stainless backplate from Leisure Pro for about $60 (with a coupon) shipped! It’s currently on sale for $69. I own and love my aluminum and stainless Freedom backplates, but I wanted a separate assembly specifically for drysuit diving. Check out Dive Gear Express too.

I personally own a couple of the Dive Rite Transpac harnesses. Very comfortable and the padded shoulders are nice. I will probably get incinerated for this,,but,, I like the ease of getting out of the harness when I use the quick disconnect on the shoulder strap. To each their own, and safe dives.

Does anyone have experience with this wing here?
Rec Series | Dive Rite
I use the diverite rec exp. Mine doesn't have bungees. I started with a rec exp and steel plate. Now I've got 6 different plates, and I'm starting to acquire wings. I've got a diverite steel, diverite plastic (1/4"), some noname cheap plastic, an apeks aluminum, a steel freedom plate and aluminum freedom plate.

Webbing/hardware is cheap enough and kind of a hassle to install so I don't move it between plates. After you move the webbing a couple times, you'll quickly decide that stuff is for the birds.

The rec exp is ok for single tanks, especially if you dive drysuit with a lot of lead and also use big heavy steel tanks. I would not use it for backmount doubles, it's just not quite wide enough and you won't be able to completely inflate it therefore losing a lot of the lift. Might get away with it if you were using double al80's (but why would anyone do that?) as they're only 7.25". When I dive doubles, it's sidemount and I use a diverite nomad xt.

I'm actually looking at switching to an 18 or 24 lb wing in place of the big rec exp that I've used for years. In short, I agree with the others. Don't bother with a "dual purpose" wing. Jack of all trades, master of none. Actually I don't think I'd risk diving doubles with it, and it's a bit too much for singles - although you never have to worry about having enough lift with a single tank :wink:. If I could do it over, I would have gone with a much smaller single tank wing.

The rec exp comes with plastic clips to clip the edges of the wing to holes around the edge of your backplate. Those clips tend to break, so need regular replacement (most diverite shops will have them in stock). Last year I stopped buying them and just went to zipties. In my profile photo, I'm using the rec exp wing. It's not clipped on the edges so you can see it taco around my single tank. Not the end of the world but it's not the best way to dive a wing. The zipties don't look quite as nice but they do the job for less money and I keep a bunch in my save-a-dive kit anyway.

The rec exp has a replaceable bladder, which IMO is important. I won't buy a wing that doesn't have a replaceable bladder. I've had the wing about 5 years now, and I'm on my second bladder (replacement cost me $99 from local shop).

As for harnesses, I've got a diverite deluxe harness. It's got quick disconnects and shoulder pads and a pad around the crotch strap. Some of my wings have regular hogarthian harnesses. The hogarthian harnesses suck compared to the deluxe. Don't get talked out of a nice harness. I often lift my rig by a shoulder strap that has a QD on it and I've not once had it come undone or break. Steel LP108 (full) + lead + steel plate = no problem. At 5 years, I replaced the harness just in case... Everything has its limits.

I will probably get incinerated for this,,but,, I like the ease of getting out of the harness when I use the quick disconnect on the shoulder strap.

Blasphemy! :) Actually I have comfort harnesses on my Freedom plates. The shoulder straps sit perpendicular to the ground, like a pair of overalls, for better weight distribution. It’s easier to don and doff, it eliminates pinching under my arms and it’s way more comfortable while tromping around the beach during shore dives. I typically sling bottles, so the chest strap keeps everything in place too. Unfortunately a hogarthian harness is essential on this new assembly due to the drysuit chest inflator.

When I take my tec 40 class I will be guided to the right size wing and doubles for the diving I am going to do. I think this is the best approach because then I will have 2 good wings for what I need instead of one wing that sucks at both. Thanks, everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom