Backpacking in Thailand. Should I bring dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWDiverdown

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
hey there. I’ll be backpacking around Thailand for a while but will be settling on Ko Phangan for a few weeks to visit friends. I am a PADI MSDT and am hoping to possibly teach some courses. I dive mostly sidemount and teach it as well. Is it worth bringing my SM gear? Should I just bring a travel single-tank BCD? I’m just wondering about logistics and the comfort of carting dive gear around the country before I hit the islands.

Thanks!! I’ll just bring mask/fins/reg

Based on my experience in Thailand, the rental gear is often in pretty poor condition (although there certainly are good operators with decent rental gear). Visit the shops to assess gear condition (or maybe your friends there have recommendations). Bringing your reg definitely makes sense to me.

Based on my experience in Thailand, the rental gear is often in pretty poor condition (although there certainly are good operators with decent rental gear). Visit the shops to assess gear condition (or maybe your friends there have recommendations). Bringing your reg definitely makes sense to me.
Do I recall correctly you paid one visit here to limited destinations about 20 years ago or so?

i’m with @drbill , just being your fins and mask and reg set up. the rest is in pretty good condition. Check your tank as you normally would, and keep track of your gear on a big boat if you do end up teaching. Unless your a known face on the boats, they may ‘help’ with your gear. You don’t want that. maybe assemble and disassemble your gear and stow before and after every dive. Things can get beat up otherwise, or just treated like rental thrashers.
Just thoughts from no one near as experienced, but it is a hassle to drag you gear, it’s not really required apart from what i already listed. I’m a newbie, but a smart one :)

hey there. I’ll be backpacking around Thailand for a while but will be settling on Ko Phangan for a few weeks to visit friends. I am a PADI MSDT and am hoping to possibly teach some courses. I dive mostly sidemount and teach it as well. Is it worth bringing my SM gear? Should I just bring a travel single-tank BCD? I’m just wondering about logistics and the comfort of carting dive gear around the country before I hit the islands.
I was in Thailand last December. The authorities were actively checking work permits and deported, after collecting fines, those they found without the right paperwork. It wasn’t just dive operators they were checking restaurants and other sporting activities.

i’m with @drbill , just being your fins and mask and reg set up. the rest is in pretty good condition. Check your tank as you normally would, and keep track of your gear on a big boat if you do end up teaching. Unless your a known face on the boats, they may ‘help’ with your gear. You don’t want that. maybe assemble and disassemble your gear and stow before and after every dive. Things can get beat up otherwise, or just treated like rental thrashers.
Just thoughts from no one near as experienced, but it is a hassle to drag you gear, it’s not really required apart from what i already listed. I’m a newbie, but a smart one :)
Disassemble after every dive is not really practicle. And what do you mean with this "Things can get beat up otherwise, or just treated like rental thrashers. " are you saying diveoperators are treating their gear badly?

Yes, that’s exactly what i’m saying. But not really their fault. The dive operators are not usually the ones doing it. It’s the people operating the boats and the ‘helpers’
As for not practical, to remove your bcd and reg and drop in your bag, why not?

I saw lots of dropped gauges, thrown regs and the like.

Yes, that’s exactly what i’m saying. But not really their fault. The dive operators are not usually the ones doing it. It’s the people operating the boats and the ‘helpers’
As for not practical, to remove your bcd and reg and drop in your bag, why not?

I saw lots of dropped gauges, thrown regs and the like.
That’s not been my experience in the 5 trips to Thailand I’ve done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom