Background music

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoundCloud has a category of music freely available for use. Spend a few hours auditioning and find something you like.

My go to has been Incomptech, he has a massive collection of duty free music for all genres that you can download and use. All he asks is that you credit the source in your video description. Incompetech: Royalty-Free Music

I just use regular artists music:

YouTube will usually auto detect any licensed music and rev-share the ad revenue with the artist.

Vimeo doesn't detect copyrighted music or seem to care at all. But, i don't usually use anything very popular or common, so its possible they would detect a copyright violation if you used katy perry or something. I'm not sure.

I just use regular artists music:

YouTube will usually auto detect any licensed music and rev-share the ad revenue with the artist.

Really? The three options I know YouTube uses are as follows:

- Remove your video entirely from your account
- Mute the audio on your video or;
- Allow the copyrighted music or other audio in your video, with additional links in Amazon.com and iTunes to the original source (available for purchase).

I've seen the first and second options exercised by YouTube. I've never seen the third.

And no mention of revenue sharing that I've found. Besides, even if revenue WAS shared with the original artist, permission still hasn't been given by them for their music to be used so it's a moot point. Copyright infringement isn't resolved by sharing revenue from the infringer.

-Adrian

- Allow the copyrighted music or other audio in your video, with additional links in Amazon.com and iTunes to the original source (available for purchase).

Edit: Updated details on how it works:
If you have copyrighted audio on your vids, if you go to your Video Manager -> Upload screen, you will see a link 'Matched Third Party Content'. Clicking on it will explain which content was detected:

[h=2]Your video may include music that is owned by a third party.[/h]To hear the matched music please play the video on the right. The video will play from the point where the matched content was identified.

[h=2]Your video is available and playable.[/h]
[h=2]Here are the details:[/h]
  • "Porcupine Tree-Last Chance To Evacuate Planet Earth Before It Is Recylced", sound recording administered by:
    2:22​
    [Merlin] Essential Music

There are two buttons: Acknowledge, or Dispute

This link has details on what happens next:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2818443?hl=en

If you acknowledge, and, the copyright owner has elected to monetize the video, or just track the video, you're good to go. If the content owner chooses they could ask youtube to block the content, which I believe means the audio is muted, or maybe the video taken down.

Once you acknowledge third party content, these show up in your Video Manager under the Copyright Notices section.

You make a good point though - are the content owners really making any money here?

I don't want to get into a moral debate on the pros and cons of different approaches to monetization of copyrighted material in the information age - youtube clearly provides a way to block, I don't think vimeo does. If you don't think its fair to the artist, by all means, abstain from doing it. When it comes to music I listen to, I am a good citizen here and purchase all my MP3s, I don't bitorrent them or steal them. But I do think adding your music to a video is less insidious than mp3 sharing because:

A) Videos are not a primary medium for music listening, the song is played once per view . . . video is no substitute or replacement for a real purchased MP3. People listen to purchased music at other times - in their car, on the bus, at the gym.
B) Viewers of the video may discover songs they like through the video and purchase it, especially for niche music that is not topping the charts.

A+B means I really think access to the video doesn't stop a potential buyer from purchasing the music, rather, it encourages it.

But, if you're against it, I can see your point of view.

Edit: Once you acknowledge, and, the copyright owner has elected to monetize the video, or just track the video, you're good to go. If the content owner chooses they could ask youtube to block the content, which I believe means the audio is muted, or maybe the video taken

But, if you're against it, I can see your point of view.

Not at all, and I understand. Your original post now. It sounded like the copyright owner had no input into the matter but just started being paid for their music being used. If they agree it's no longer infringement. :)

Thank you for clarifying.

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom