Back to Sharm Travel via Cairo airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimJensen

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking forward to getting back to Sharm in October, first time since 2015. Of course, still not able to fly direct from the UK to Sharm.

I am flying on 13th October at 15:00pm from Heathrow to Cairo with EgyptAir, arriving Cairo 20:40pm 13 October (terminal 3)
Then a connecting flight (again EgyptAir) from Cairo (again, terminal 3) departing 22:00 13 October 2018, arriving in Sharm airport 23:00 on the 13 October.

Having not travelled this route before, can anyone advise what Cairo airport is like to navigate. And do we have to pick up hold luggage in Cairo, or will this move automatically from the Heathrow plane to the Sharm connecting flight?

And do we still need to buy a visa in Sharm airport, for diving outside the immediate region (i.e. Ras Mohammed)? And could you remind me how much the visa is?

What is Sharm like at the moment? Quiet? Thanks all for any advice you can provide.

We did that route to hurghada. Same basic schedule.

Luggage was transferred directly (no bag drag needed).

We used online evisa before going and went directly to the security/immigration check.

The ability to buy Visa onsite was directly before the immigration and security check. No idea what the wait was like, we skipped it.

On the connection inbound it was a bit difficult to find, though its manageable. Mostly follow the crowd. They will check passport/Visa and run you and carry on/hand luggage through scanner.

The wait wasn't that long, 10 minutes maybe.

@outofofficebrb is currently in Egypt and will be back online soon. She should be able to give you very up to date details.

When I travel to Egypt for business I always buy my visa at Cairo airport prior to immigration from one of the many banks selling the visa stickers.

As for transfers from an international flight to a domestic one, I would triple check that the baggage transfers will happen automatically and not take it for granted.

Hi,

last time I was diving Ras Mo a plain clothed man came onboard our diveboat just before departure at Travco Marina sporting a side gun and asking to see our passports to verify we had a visa, just check with your dive centre on this, the 30 day visa is 25 $
full.jpg

Hello from Port Ghalib!

I landed in Cairo via San Francisco and Frankfurt then connected to Hurghada but did not have an online connection, meaning my flight to Hurghada was on a separate ticket, so I had to pick up my luggage and go through customs, exit, then re-check it.

I’m a US citizen so needed a visa on arrival at Cairo but I used the e-visa option which costs the same as getting it in person, about $25 USD. It was easy and I walked straight to customs with it. Just remember to print it out and present it! I imagine the visa requirements are the same or similar for a UK citizen. Get it here: Request Rejected

I also arrived at T3 and had a departing flight for T3. Once you go through customs and exit, go upstairs for check in. Just give some time for customs as it was slow. It took a while to get through a very short line for each counter and be prepared to throw all your bags for X-ray before exiting. I had camera equipment and they were thoroughly searching the bag, probably looking for a drone.

Security to get back in for a domestic flight was also inefficient and slow, even though there were only a handful of people doing it with me at 5AM. You do this before the check in counter with all of your bags, including checked ones. Gold Track was not open for security that early but there was no line at the check in counter at that time so it was not needed there. It was a bit of a walk to the gate that I had with EgyptAir, and then had to go through security again with just carry on belongings before getting to the gate. Shoes had to be removed for both security areas. We then had a bus to the plane.

I’ve had 9 days diving the Red Sea for the first time, 3 days land based and 6 on a LOB so far. I have a day of diving land based today while they flip the LOB and grab new guests, then take off for another week. It has been very lovely so far!

Thanks all, and hope you are enjoying the diving - really miss the Red Sea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom