Back pain while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seville

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bad back...i broke it about a month and a half ago and the Dr cleared me for scuba. I have no problem dawning the gear or going into the water with it. The problem I have...even before I got injured is, my back hurts while diving. The tank presses into my lower back causing discomfort. Sometimes I feel like the letter "u" as my feet tend to float above the tank level. Does anyone else experience this? I know everyone says they feel weightless but I still feel the tank on my back even if I am at neutral buoyancy.

I have a bad back...i broke it about a month and a half ago and the Dr cleared me for scuba. I have no problem dawning the gear or going into the water with it. The problem I have...even before I got injured is, my back hurts while diving. The tank presses into my lower back causing discomfort. Sometimes I feel like the letter "u" as my feet tend to float above the tank level. Does anyone else experience this? I know everyone says they feel weightless but I still feel the tank on my back even if I am at neutral buoyancy.

I switched to sidemount for this reason- coming out of the water in backmount, even when I switched to a backplate, I could always feel it for days afterwards.
Once I switched to sidemount I was able to last all the way through a 6 day Cave diving holiday with no back pain at all...

I have had that especially after I hurt my back (not broken). I found that putting my tank a bit lower, occasionally bringing my knees up to stretch my back whether vertical or horizontal, changing fin techniques on and off - scissor, frog, during the dive, being in better shape by strengthening my leg and stomach muscles to take the stress off back muscles, to just relax and not clench back muscles during the dive and to take various trim positions during the dive. At times if necessary I will pull the tank to one side during the dive for a bit. I will also take a lotus position during the safety stop to stretch my back. If I keep the exact same postion - head, neck, feet, and diving for 60-80 minutes, my back will hurt. Keeping a head up position for a long time will also cause the "U". I dip my head quite a bit as matter of habit.
Most of what I am saying is, I don't keep the same position for long periods of time.
Some dives I don't have to do any of this but others I do. I have found that if I have been sitting alot, before and during diving days, my back hurts more.
If you have floaty feet, maybe consider ankle weights. I don't use them.

If you broke your back, I assume you have some physical therapy regimen to follow. I can say for me that the physical therapy/excercise was better than any other treatment I was given. My back hurt for months after injury and still does at times after years. Expecting no pain after 6 weeks may be a bit much to ask but YMMV.

.. Sometimes I feel like the letter "u" ..
When I was just certified, I was taught to wear a weight belt and it killed by back exactly as you described like the 'letter U'.
I switched to 'weight integrated' and that BCD air lifted not only the weights, but also the tank off my back just enough that I never had back pain again. All dive gear is trial/error/adjust. You'll never stop buying new gear to fix an issue.

When I was just certified, I was taught to wear a weight belt and it killed by back exactly as you described like the 'letter U'.
I switched to 'weight integrated' and that BCD air lifted not only the weights, but also the tank off my back just enough that I never had back pain again. All dive gear is trial/error/adjust. You'll never stop buying new gear to fix an issue.
My weights are integrated into wing style bcd. I am guessing a jacket bcd would not have the same problems but i really dont like the jacket style. maybe ankle weights would help. If I add ankle weights would i subtract the weight from my bcd?

What tank are you wearing? A longer tank (an Al 80, say) would rest on your derriere (and not on your lower back), which should decrease lower back pain.

A less buoyant tank (an HP 100, say) will decrease the weight you need to carry on your weightbelt (or in your BC) which should decrease your lower back pain. Be careful that you can safely use this less buoyant tank, though. Remember the basics: You "must" to be able to establish positive buoyancy at the surface without finning or sculling, even if you have a completely empty BC and a completely full cylinder, with no air trapped anywhere, by simply dropping your weightbelt/weights.

Also, some people wear their weightbelt on their waist. Others wear it lower, on their hips. I think wearing on the hips should cause less back pain (at the cost of pulling your legs and feet down).

However, if your back pain is caused or exacerbated simply by carrying or wearing your gear (walking to the water, say), then this probably is a completely different issue.

Good luck.

rx7diver

My weights are integrated into wing style bcd. I am guessing a jacket bcd would not have the same problems but i really dont like the jacket style. maybe ankle weights would help. If I add ankle weights would i subtract the weight from my bcd?

Ankle weights are a bad idea. If you want to get some weight off the rig, something like a DUI weight harness, which puts the weight on your hips might be something to consider.

My wife broke three vertebrae in her lower back several years ago. She switched to a back plate so the weight was more evenly distributed and uses a compact steel 80 this reduced the pain for her. Also make sure you are not arching your back trying to stay in trim.

I have a bulging disc that causes me grief occasionally. For me, diving a balanced rig helped tremendously, going between double 95s or single hp 80s. If I'm getting a backache while diving, I'll add air to my wing rather than just my drysuit to lift some of the weight off my lower back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom