back-of-the hand gauge mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anybody tried a back-of-the hand mount, like some skidivers use for their altimeter?

I got an old analog depth gauge I want to start carrying, but my wrist is already full enough, especially when wearing 'gauntlet' gloves, so I'm thinking about using a little bungie to rig it on the back of my hand.

The gauge was in an old console I bought. When I took it out I found it is has projections for watch strap pins. I'm thinking of running a small bungie or surgical tubing through the pins such that it forms two loops, one for my wrist and the other for one or two middle fingers.

Seems simple enough, but I figured someone, somewhere, had already done this, and could give me suggestions.

The only downside I see is it would be inconvenient if you wanted to take your gloves off, but it's not often I want to do that. Oh, and it could get in the way if you were in the habit of sticking your hands in holes, but, again, I don't tend to do that.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'd probably just buy one of the altimeter mounts instead of rigging my own up. Hand Mount

Xenon:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I'd probably just buy one of the altimeter mounts instead of rigging my own up. Hand Mount

I think the altimeter is made for the mount. i.e. the strap crosses the altimeter from side-to-side, not top to bottom. If I put my depth gauge (which was made for a watch band) on the altimeter mount, it would be 90* off.

Sounds like you're describing a goodman handle for your depth gauge. I see no reason why that wouldn't work, as long as you don't have any other plans for the back of that hand (like, say, a canister light head on a goodman handle!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom