Back into diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vagabondexpedition

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings from the cold north of Calgary Alberta Canada.

Many moons ago, I certified with IDEA Canada.. then foolishly stopped diving - Now I'm back into it and essentially 'starting over' with PADI certs. Figured it wasn't a good idea to jump back into things after 10+ years of no diving.. and well, everyone knows PADI.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to exploring the board here and seeing what's new, to plan some trips too (just finished a Belize trip, and now planning Cozumel in March). More importantly though.. I need to figure out why I'm getting sea sick (never used to happen) and how to prevent it going forward!

Plans are to get back to AOW certification.. and likely beyond.
Currently have OW, Dry Suit, EANx - on 'deck' is night, drift, AOW, nav for March.
Oh, and I enjoy photography/videography... so I'm hoping to improve upon my underwater photo skills - it's quite the change from 'above water'.

Photo of my dive buddy while in Belize. GoPro shot - I did buy a SeaLife camera with strobe and light - but didn't use it on this dive.
erniejohnsonDOTca--1182.jpg

Welcome back to scuba.
Dive safe

Contact me please if you'd like to join our monthly Divers' Dinners in Calgary.

More importantly though.. I need to figure out why I'm getting sea sick (never used to happen) and how to prevent it going forward!

Anecdotally speaking, my wife thinks her proneness to it has worsened over the years, and while I historically was quite resistant, even I now can get queasy with enough provocation - not so much on the water as at carnivals when our little girl insists she wants to ride the Tilt-A-Whirl (bleh!!!).

Have you tired Bonine (a.k.a. Meclizine, a specific antihistamine)? Some people resort to scopolamine patches, though at that point you're looking at a prescription product with some potential side effect issues (e.g.: don't touch your eye after handing one without thoroughly washing your hands) - and people's tolerance to that varies. It can be powerfully effective, though. Some use ginger, etc...

Some destinations are known for more consistently benign surface conditions, shorter boat rides to/from dive sites, surface intervals spent docked vs. on the water, or shore diving.

Richard.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida.....thanks for sharing your photo of your pet nurse shark...(smile)

Glad to hear your coming back diving!!

Please remember to all your dive buddies not to touch, harass, or follow any aquatic life. we are here just to enjoy the beauty of the marine creatures but touching them is not nice!! There are plenty of forums about it and it is one of the things you learned during your OW course.

Thanks

Glad to hear your coming back diving!!

Please remember to all your dive buddies not to touch, harass, or follow any aquatic life. we are here just to enjoy the beauty of the marine creatures but touching them is not nice!! There are plenty of forums about it and it is one of the things you learned during your OW course.

Thanks

While I completely agree with your sentiment, the photographed incident likely came about due to a rather lackadaisical attitude to touching the nurse sharks by the dive guides in Belize! In fact, not just lackadaisical attitude but rather a standard of behaviour practiced in the locale.

Yes, as individual divers, we should know better and do better despite being encouraged with regard to touching and/or molestation.

Welcome (back). Good course plans--don't forget Rescue Diver (unless you have those skills from long ago when they may have been in the OW courses).

Welcome (back). Good course plans--don't forget Rescue Diver (unless you have those skills from long ago when they may have been in the OW courses).

Yes.. Rescue is on the list.. I won't say "have" those skills.. rather "had" those skills -- I need to redo all that to bring the knowledge back into play!

While I completely agree with your sentiment, the photographed incident likely came about due to a rather lackadaisical attitude to touching the nurse sharks by the dive guides in Belize!

This is exactly it... along with what seems like some of the nurse sharks just wouldn't leave divers alone until they (the sharks) got a cuddle of some sort in -- I'm guessing this is a multiple times a day event happening in Belize for these sharks to be like this at this point. I'm the photographer - so generally have my hands full anyway - but do always have a 'tread lightly' approach to my adventures - underwater and above - and that means take pictures, touch/disturb nothing.

Back
Top Bottom