Back from the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TNTdive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from a trip to the Bahamas. CocoCay was canceled due to the tender boats not be able to operate in the winds/seas. So off we went to Nassau, Bahamas. Dove with Stuart's Cove and it was a good time. I took my dry suit and full 3mm suit, figuring I would make the call when I checked the weather and temps down there. Liking to be comfortable, I went with the dry suit (water temp was 73 F). My brother laughed, but at the end of four dives that day I was the only one that could have maximized the dive time (all others were getting out early due to being cold). I used my 200g undergarment and it worked out great.

The vis was around 50+ ft. The first dive started out quick. My brother (dive master) got in first and the clip on his fin came off. Down the fin went. I got in next (not knowing he lost the fin) and once I gave the boat captain the OK, he told me. OFF TO THE RACES I went. Thankfully during this dive there was no current and his BLUE fin stood out enough that I could see it. Where we started was 35 feet but then it dropped to 6,000 ft, so I didn't want to see if it would get caught in a current or just murphy's luck would take it over the shelf. Luckily I was able to get it (burned some air, but it ensured that I would have a dive buddy I knew for all four dives).

He had a full 5/7mm wet suit for his diving. Of course, he is skinny and all muscle, so the first dive (deepest dive of the AM trip down to 100 ft was shorter) he felt a little cold, but warmed up with the surface interval. After the second dive he was shaking, so I was glad that I had my dry suit. I helped him out of his gear and had him put on my 200g undergarment and got him warmed up. Here was a good break prior to the PM dives, he got warmed up and stayed in the sun. He wanted to dive the PM, so we decided to but would limit time and be sensitive to if he started getting cold again. I was glad that him and we had a lot of experience diving with each other that we were able to pick up on the little signs of the other diver and that we were honest and quick to talk to each other about our intentions.

I have a few good pictures of the two dives on the shelf, the double wreck dive, and a corral shallow dive. The pictures are no where near the quality of Will, Andy and Bobby. It was an Intova IC-800 that we got to see how well it worked.

The dives were a great way to kick off my dive season for this year. Now, I need to start doing some diving back here in Virginia. Looking at some of the other posts, it looks like the season is well underway back here.

Ted

Ted,

After the Bahamas, diving off Virgina just ain't going to be the same....

You'll need some therapy to deal with the cooler green water.

Glad you had a great time. Add some of the photos to your profile gallery.

Safe Diving.
Wil

Will,

Thanks, it is good to be back. I added a couple of the pictures to my gallery (need to try to clean them up they have a blue tint and some are harder to see what we took the picture of in the first place).

Reading about the local water temps I think I will need some therapy! I have my heavy weight undergarment ready to go, to try to minimize the shock factor. I can always hope, can't I?

Read that you had a little excitement diving last week. Great work keeping an eye on your buddy and thinking fast. You, Andy and Bobby did a great job and I am glad to hear that Kevin is doing good and didn't have any problems once he got on the boat!

Ted

...Liking to be comfortable, I went with the dry suit (water temp was 73 F). My brother laughed, but at the end of four dives that day I was the only one that could have maximized the dive time (all others were getting out early due to being cold)...

I go dry when it 75 degrees or less. I get the same responses from people - until they come out of the water shivering and skip the last dive or two.

Glad you had fun. Welcome home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom