Back from Jamaica slightly disappointed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carldarl

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got back from 8 days on Jamaica for my sister-in-law's wedding. The wedding went great but the diving didn't.

1st issue: A cold front moved in on day two and lasted until day six. The dive shop wouldn't consider going out due to conditions. It didn't clear until Wednesday morning, our last day to dive due to flights.

2nd issue. The dive shop wouldn't allow me to put weights in my integrated BC and required me to wear a weight-belt. I DON'T like belts as I am still pear shaped and its always a battle keeping them up. (They were jerks in other ways as well)

3rd issue: I'm not feeling too hot for some reason. Nauseated, light-headed and oveall achy. Sucked down air and for the first time ever was the first to need to surface due to air consumption. (Total time down was only 22 minutes and never went below 65 feet)

End result is I bailed on the second dive not feeling right. Eight days on Jamaica and I only got one dive that was less than perfect.

What are your thoughts about requiring a diver to use equipment other than what they want?

PS... All the other aspects of the trip were wonderful so still able to have a good time.

Sorry to hear a cold front moved in and messed things up for you. I guess the only thing you can do prevent choosing an operator that dosent make you wear that is asking them before you book.

Sorry, I didn't realize I was here when I posted this. Probably should be moved to a different forum if needed.

I think that's wrong for making you use their weight belt. I know Certain outfits have their own rules etc... But sticking a weight belt on someone who is not used to them and doesn't like to use them for that matter, is more of a hazard if ya think about it. A divers comfort zone is very important to a successful and enjoyable dive. I hope your 1 dive was at least a good one visually, even if it was a short one....

What a teaseer of a vacation. man. The bit about the weight belt...what the hell? Didn't the dive op have any competitors in the area?

I wear a weight harness, I wonder if they'd of black balled me for that?

Sea ya!

next time, just politely say no.
You would be surprised how many "rules" you can break with that. About the weather, I feel that operators that cancel are usually the better ones, who care that you have a good experience. The crummy ones will find some way to "dip you" just to not lose the revenue.

carldarl:
\\

What are your thoughts about requiring a diver to use equipment other than what they want?

Well.... I'm always open to feedback (and I mean that!) but the decision is mine. End of discussion.

Having said that I think you need to understand that this happens, that there may be some logic behind it and that you need to get informed *before* you go about what to expect.

R..

Question about the boat set-up.

Did this boat require you to remove your gear in the water (And hand it up) or could you just step up the ladder with your gear (Minus fins) on?

Scuba_Steve:
Question about the boat set-up.

Did this boat require you to remove your gear in the water (And hand it up) or could you just step up the ladder with your gear (Minus fins) on?

How is this relevant?

R..

carldarl:
2nd issue. The dive shop wouldn't allow me to put weights in my integrated BC and required me to wear a weight-belt. I DON'T like belts as I am still pear shaped and its always a battle keeping them up. (They were jerks in other ways as well)

were there other dive shops in the area? i would have taken my business elsewhere if at all possible...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom