Back from Indonesia! Bunaken (Manado) and Pulau Weh (Banda Aceh) - report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zebrax0r

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

Just thought I'd pop in to give a bit of a quick rundown on my latest trip to Indonesia.

We first hit Bunaken (off the coast of Manado) for 5 nights. We decided to dive with the Seabreeze Resort, on the island. Great guys run the place. Very accomodating, wonderful little bungalows, and excellent guides.

The diving is predominantly relaxed wall style stuff between 15 and 30m. Nothing really appreciable any deeper. Currents are very minimal and visibility was generally between 20 and 30m. Fairly epic. Amazing muck/critter diving, but, equally cool "big stuff" can be found on some further afield treks.

Given I'm not an amazingly experienced diver yet (only done about 45 dives), I think it was an ideal place to really get into it and gain some experience. Very enjoyable indeed.

The next place we trekked to was a long way off. Banda Aceh, to be exact. Off the coast of the Tsunami-trashed city (which, mind you, is growing back well, and looks like people are bouncing back well!), we found the island of Pulau Weh.

Awaiting us, at the dive centre of Lumba-Lumba, were about 20 different dive sites of varying conditions/colours.

Things we noted about Lumba-Lumba:

1. It's conditions are far more prone to change, but given the number of sites, it's easy to find something nice

2. The landscapes, particularly the site they call "Canyon" are absolutely breathtaking. These are probably some of the most spectacular underwater scapes I've ever seen. Enourmous rock shapes, cool swim-throughs and amazing tunnels to drift through, all in maybe 25 to 35m of water.

3. Vis is more variable than Bunaken, expectedly.

4. On the last day, we went a little bit "hardcore", and tried a blue-water drop in, to a site called "Shark Plataeu". I can safely say, it's the hardest dive I've ever attempted. It was essentially negative entry, as the current was SO strong. I was kicking, hard. Really hard, all the way down to 35m. Plunged, would be a better way to describe it. Once we got down, we worked so hard to move around, that air consumption was going to leave us with an effectively 35min dive. Still, in that 35mins:

- Eagle rays
- Enourmous reef sharks
- BIG octopus
- Baracuda
- Trevalley
- Lots of little things too

The site was not for the faint of heart (or maybe just crazy Australians). It is a VERY hard dive, worthy of reef-hook use, if you aren't very strong/have amazing grip.

5. The accomodation is second to none. Rooms are new, enourmous and comparatively luxurious, compared to everywhere else locally. The owners are awesome old folk, who will tell you tales of their survival in the Tsunami. Wireless in the rooms too!

6. Most of the divers who were with us were very experienced. Predominantly dive masters or instructors of the PADI clan. We were easily the least qualified there, being only Open Water PADI Advanced.

7. Many wrecks to check out, from what I am told - but, we aren't allowed there, as they were too deep/we don't have the training for them yet.

We had a blast, became a little more experienced and saw some truly amazing things.

z

Hi ZebraxOR,
We dived at Sea breeze too, excellent. Is Terry & Diana still running the place? Anyway, more interested in Banda Aceh- Palau Weh, apart from the Canyon & that deep dive, what the rest of the diving like there in terms of coral & abundant or not fish life life. Sharks or Rays on any of the other dives? Would you say it was as good or better than Bunaken?

Thx

Manta Man

Hi ZebraxOR,
We dived at Sea breeze too, excellent. Is Terry & Diana still running the place? Anyway, more interested in Banda Aceh- Palau Weh, apart from the Canyon & that deep dive, what the rest of the diving like there in terms of coral & abundant or not fish life life. Sharks or Rays on any of the other dives? Would you say it was as good or better than Bunaken?

Thx

Manta Man

Hey MantaMan.

Yup! Terry and Diana are still running the show. Terry is actually in the process of building a new house on the mainland, and refurbishing the dive centre. They plan to knock down the old one in the next year or so, and build something entirely fresh/kick arse.

Good question about Banda Aceh (and the island of Weh).

I think Weh is better for "big things", in generally, but, that being said - we went to a lot of sites there:

Divesites n photos, Lumba Lumba Diving Centre, Pulau Weh, Sumatra, Indonesia

In Weh, we saw the largest Moray Eel's we'd ever seen. Like, enourmous. So large, you couldn't fit arms around them style enourmous. The creatures there are very different. We saw some of the most unusual types of eel we'd ever encountered. Strange black and white ones, with hexagonal honey-comb patterns, black ones, blue ones, and snake-like ones. Really spectacular, and seemingly, almost friendly! Sharks were more abundant at Weh. Rays were actually a bit irregular. I saw one in the time I was at Weh.

The coral on some of the more sheltered dives, and fans are quite stunning too, but for sheer coral species, I actually thought Bunaken was better.

I think overall, Bunaken offers more enjoyable/relaxing diving, but Weh is more of an adventure, where you go big, see big things and have jaw-dropping sea scapes.

If I were a diver into "colour", I think bunaken is where I'd be. If I liked blue-water and rocks/enourmous fish, maybe Weh. That being said, some of the huge trevalley and bump-head Wrasse we saw were predominantly hanging in Bunaken too...

Both good. Just different. I will say that, Bunaken's hosts made it feel more like home to us. Terry is a lovely guy. Weh, at Lumba-lumba did feel slightly "corporate", despite being very remote, and VERY comfortable.

z

ZebraxOR -

Thanks for the report! We're off to Seabreeze as the first stop on an Indo trip in October ... glad to hear the feedback about the operation there (and from MantaMan too). And Pulau Weh is on the "maybe next trip" list, so I appreciate that report too!

ZebraxOR -

Thanks for the report! We're off to Seabreeze as the first stop on an Indo trip in October ... glad to hear the feedback about the operation there (and from MantaMan too). And Pulau Weh is on the "maybe next trip" list, so I appreciate that report too!

No worries. If you get the chance, dive with a guy named "Son". He's the most experienced guide/dive master they have - and yeah, it shows. The guys is awesome...

z

Thanks for the tip ... we'll look for him!

Thx ZebraxOr for that I think you cleared up a lot of questions I had about Weh. That pretty much leaves our decision down to Maratua (E.Kalimantan) or Alor and then possibly back to Bunaken. The only quibles I have about Maratua is that its all "give me your money first & then you can dive" Oh! and the fact that If you can't go diving for any reason, including weather conditions you don't get credited any dives or money back - no that's service for you, eh! Anyway, glad you had a great time at Seabreeze - did they feed you that deadly "Jungle Juice" I just love that place and maybe it would be good to go back before the changes, as after I'd imagine prices will shot up.

Chat soon & Thx again

MM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom