Back Breathing Bubbles in Bodega Bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ted Judah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greetings, my wife and I met underwater in An advance dive class in Monterey in 1996. Turns out we both went to the same middle school in Tomales.
We became dive buddies and married in 2000. We honeymooned in Catalina and dived like newlyweds.
Our daughter was born in 2006 and our last dive was in 2005.
My wife, just got a job at a major aquarium and learned that, as an employee, she has the opportunity to dive in the big tanks!
With that, we decided to dust off the old gear…
Then we decided we need new gear!
So $4000 later we took our new wetsuits, BCD’s, regulators out to Bodega Bay to one of our old stomping grounds - the Doran Jetty to test our bouncy and new equipment.
We were all smiles at the end of the dive despite the 4 foot visibility.
We are planning trips up the coast and down to Monterey. It’s good to be back.

Welcome back to diving!
And welcome to Scubaboard!

I’m in Santa Rosa and dive Sonoma and Mendocino coasts. Monterey every once in a great while, but it’s 3 hours of driving and a trip through the city.
I’ve dived the Bodega Bay jetties several times.
I’m mostly doing urchin removal dives at Stillwater Cove Regional Park now. The coast desparately needs our help with the purple urchin problem, so I’ve dedicated myself 100% to that cause. Not glamorous diving and it’s hard work, but someone’s got to do it.

Welcome! Just maybe check conditions this weekend, it was close to the storm threshold last time I checked.

Welcome back to diving!
And welcome to Scubaboard!

I’m in Santa Rosa and dive Sonoma and Mendocino coasts. Monterey every once in a great while, but it’s 3 hours of driving and a trip through the city.
I’ve dived the Bodega Bay jetties several times.
I’m mostly doing urchin removal dives at Stillwater Cove Regional Park now. The coast desparately needs our help with the purple urchin problem, so I’ve dedicated myself 100% to that cause. Not glamorous diving and it’s hard work, but someone’s got to do it.
Cool! we have some experience at Stillwater. How can we help with the urchins?

Cool! we have some experience at Stillwater. How can we help with the urchins?
I’ll shoot you a PM next time I’m going out.
I’m actually getting over a bad case of sciatica right now so I’ve been dry for a while, but I’m getting better so I’ll be diving again soon.

What you’ll need is:
1. CA fishing license (obvious but got to say it)
2. A big green Trident game bag (biggest they make) and a stainless double ender bolt snap. I found one at Home Depot but make sure it’s stainless.
3. A lift bag or deluxe 6’ inflatable sausage that has a lift strap and dump valve on top to tow around the bag when it gets heavy. The idea is to load the bag to the gills but they get really heavy to drag around. So I hook a lift bag onto just one handle so you can still load it and put enough air in the lift bag to make the game bag levitate. It makes it a lot easier to deal with. I just got a 70lb actual lift bag so I’m excited to try it out.
4. Two 20 gallon brute trash cans, or a big 45 gallon trash can, or one 20 gallon can and another tub to put the first load into. We’re allowed to take 40 gallons of whole urchins. There no smashing allowed unless it’s a designated culling zone and the only two are Caspar Cove and a reef in Monterey.

My goal is to work from the beach out and pretty much clear all the purples to allow some bull kelp to reforest. There already is kelp coming back not far from there so I’m hoping some spores will drift in to the cove and begin to sprout. All the abs are up close to the beach and trying to eat anything they can salvage, poor things :(

Seal’s water sports in Santa Rosa does a fun dive once a month on a Sunday, and Stillwater seems to be where they mostly go. Jennifer is the one who runs the dives. They are free and lots of fun.
Check out their website!

Welcome to ScubaBoard and Howdy from Texas! It's hard to leave diving forever!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom