B2 primary w/Z2 secondary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

747pilot

Reaction score
Anyone using this set up for DIR? How do you like it? Thanks

I'm not a "DIR" diver, but that's the exact rig that I dive (with the exception that I dive the older "Z1").

I've never had any issues with either one of the regulators, at depth or in cold (42F) water.

I've been diving the B2 since 1999 and added the Z1 about 2 years ago.

the K

Thanks. I'm getting rid of my SS1 which breaths almost better than my B2 but I plan on someday being DIR and want to configure now. Just went to a 7' hose. Any idea why the Apexs are so popular?

747pilot:
Thanks. I'm getting rid of my SS1 which breaths almost better than my B2 but I plan on someday being DIR and want to configure now. Just went to a 7' hose. Any idea why the Apexs are so popular?
I bought Apeks because they are basically bulletproof. They've been rock solid for a lot of people over a long period of time. There are other brands of regs that also meet the requirements for DIR, Scubapro for starters. Other than the swivel, I don't know any reason why your Atomic wouldn't be fine for DIR but, as always, ask an instructor if you are taking a class and are concerned about gear choices.

I'm not sure if they sell the Z2 second stage by itself. I thought they still sold the Z1 for use as an alternate.

I dive a Z2 primary with a Z1 backup. When I checked on the Atomic regs I found a quote by GIII that he thought the Atomics were the easiest breathing regs he'd used. I'm not sure if that answers your DIR question :wink:

But I was looking into the Atomic B2, Atomic M1, and AquaLung Legend LX recently.

Ultimately went with the Legend LX, for several reasons:

- Overbalanced makes it breathe a bit easier at depth (though the Atomics are great too)

- Diagphram vs piston; a bit "smoother" WOB which is perceptible vs piston which you can sort of feel "rattling" at the end of the curve

- Diagphram vs piston; can be more easily adjusted/tuned vs needing to be overhauled (even on a boat if required)

- Legend LX is "actually" environmentally sealed, vs Atomics which relies on gunk packed into it to seal it (I forget the details here, but it made sense at the time it was explained to me.)

- Two less swivels on Legend LX vs Atomic B2 (One less than M1) means fewer moving parts, means simpler, means closer to DIR I guess (Protection against Murphy's law if nothing else.)

- About $100 less for the Aqua Lung vs either of the Atomics

Ultimately came down to Atomic M1 vs Aqua Lung Legend LX for me (cold NJ water) and then the sealing/service/adjustment plus price differential swayed me towards the Aqua Lung.

Your mileage may vary!

Back
Top Bottom