Azores. Diving in Santa Maria

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danzz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Santa Maria is one of the smaller islands of the Azores. Nevertheless, it has much to offer both above and below the water. I spend & week diving end of July/beginning of August with Mantamaria. I thinks it's the biggest operator of the island. Good staff and powerful boats. One of the best dive sites in Santa Maria and even in the Azores is definitely Ambrosio where, in season, you can admire dozens of mobulas or devil rays. By the way, I don't understand why people call these beautiful animals devil rays. Another famous place are the Formigas islands in the middle of the ocean with many species of curious large groupers. And you also have a chance to encounter a whale shark there. Another group reported a whaleshark and an hammerhead. That said, I was not so impressed of the dive sites closer to the island. Volcanic rocks with not so much life. Apart from diving, you can also take beautiful walks on the island.
Here some highlights of the trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom