Awesome Dive OP Grand Cayman - Cayman University Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Murphy in NC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Spent a week with Cayman University Divers and wanted to give some feedback for those that may be traveling to GC and are looking for a dive op.

I have spent time with other dive ops in GC however these gentlemen were by far the best we have dove with.

At first I was concerned as it was just an operation of two and they did not have a dive shop.

I quickly learned that this was a positive because they could really focus on what we wanted to see/do during our trip.

Brad and Graham are great guys with many years of experience diving GC.
Personalized service, they know the area well and can give you an excellent education on GC, the water and the water's occupants.
Focused on our schedule, our safety, showed us great sites, listened to what we wanted and delivered.
Very fair pricing

Cool extras:
We lost some equipment one day and Brad, Graham my son and I spent a good bit of time searching and found our gear.

Brad provided Julian Mangos that he picked off his tree that morning (now seeing how I can get them here in NC). Julian Mangos = Best fruit I have ever eaten

One day I got back to the condo and Brad had emailed me some pics of my son and I.
I didn't know he had taken them and it was incredible to have someone send awesome pics of you and your son. Best pics we have from the trip.

Great choice if your looking for a dive op in GC
link
https://www.cudivers.com/

Hope this helps

Spent a week with Cayman University Divers and wanted to give some feedback for those that may be traveling to GC and are looking for a dive op.

I have spent time with other dive ops in GC however these gentlemen were by far the best we have dove with.

At first I was concerned as it was just an operation of two and they did not have a dive shop.

I quickly learned that this was a positive because they could really focus on what we wanted to see/do during our trip.

Brad and Graham are great guys with many years of experience diving GC.
Personalized service, they know the area well and can give you an excellent education on GC, the water and the water's occupants.
Focused on our schedule, our safety, showed us great sites, listened to what we wanted and delivered.
Very fair pricing

Cool extras:
We lost some equipment one day and Brad, Graham my son and I spent a good bit of time searching and found our gear.

Brad provided Julian Mangos that he picked off his tree that morning (now seeing how I can get them here in NC). Julian Mangos = Best fruit I have ever eaten

One day I got back to the condo and Brad had emailed me some pics of my son and I.
I didn't know he had taken them and it was incredible to have someone send awesome pics of you and your son. Best pics we have from the trip.

Great choice if your looking for a dive op in GC
link
https://www.cudivers.com/

Hope this helps
Brad Nelson might be the longest tenured dive guide on Grand Cayman. If not, he is in the ballpark. He is my favorite and I love diving with him and Graham, as well.

We have also had some great experiences diving with CUD, when we want to do some boat diving on the West side they are usually our first call.

Good to know. What sort of boat do they use, what is their max number of divers and what time do they head out?

Good to know. What sort of boat do they use, what is their max number of divers and what time do they head out?
Max # of divers is 6. I don't know what kind of boat it is, I never pay attention. It is quite high speed and you can see a photo on the website.
Dive departure times for me have always been negotiated vs "set times" - one of the luxuries of a small operator. So, if there are other people scheduled on the boat that aren't part of your party, you'd need to negotiate. Otherwise, if it is just you or your group, you can set the time of departure directly with Brad. Here is the link: https://www.cudivers.com/

I took a snapshot of the boat-- Here you go:

upload_2019-8-2_15-58-58.png

The flexible start time is really a great benefit

I am not a fan of waking up extremely early to dive on vacations, we definitely started a little later than the big dive shops

The flexible start time is really a great benefit

I am not a fan of waking up extremely early to dive on vacations, we definitely started a little later than the big dive shops
I took negotiated start time as a plus for earlier than the bigger shops as I'm the opposite - I prefer to get out early and get to the best sites and grab the mooring before the other Op's or, God forbid, the cruise ship throngs! I can relax in the PM and hit the sack early as need be - that way I also don't screw up my normal wake schedule and then have to re-adapt post vacation. But... to each, their own:)

They’ll do it earlier or later they worked in a later start time for me because that’s what I prefer, having the flexibility of a smaller dive operation lets them tailor it to your preferences

Big fan of C.U.D. Unfortunately Graham is no longer on island, but Brad is still going out. Love the later start, the small groups, the fresh mangoes from his garden when in season and (when it's working) the underwater one-way radio where he points things out underwater and tells you what it is. My first introduction to bone conduction devices and I was very impressed.

Luckily the "cruise ship throngs" don't tend to get as far north as the sites you can get to from the West Bay Dock, which is where they normally depart from.

Back
Top Bottom