Avila Beach closed due to great white sighting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
Took the kids to the beach for a day trip only to find avila beach closed due to several fisherman and beach goers spotting a great white in the area. According to the locals i talked to the great white was even seen cruising up and down the shoreline. From what i was told the beach was closed yesterday 8-29-06.

A swimmer was attacked and died from injuries during an attack a few years back while swimming by the pier at avila. Makes me curious if it is the same shark.

So what do you say Nil, still want to dive that rock pinnacle in avila......lol:D

aenokea:
I was planning on doing Shell Beach/ 1000 Steps in the morning... Maybe it only likes Avila?
Yes it was only avila as shell beach was still open(at least no signs like avila). There was the usual lot of surfers down by the pier at pismo also.

Let me know how your dive goes:D

Dryglove:
So what do you say Nils, still want to dive that rock pinnacle in avila......lol:D

I have always wanted to see a white shark, and the Monterey Bay Aquarium does not count :wink:

GDCB:
The fatal attack was Aug 13 03.

check it here

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/2000.htm

Carl
That's a cool site Carl! I especially liked this:

"Only eight fatal cases of shark attack were authenticated from the Pacific Coast during the entire Twentieth Century. It is quite possible that, during the Twentieth Century, more humans died in this same geographic region while playing bridge than died from shark attacks." :D

John L.

wetrat:
That's a cool site Carl! I especially liked this:

"Only eight fatal cases of shark attack were authenticated from the Pacific Coast during the entire Twentieth Century. It is quite possible that, during the Twentieth Century, more humans died in this same geographic region while playing bridge than died from shark attacks." :D

John L.

Soooo true! To heck with the signd...as soon as you get in the water anh blow bubbles, the shark will make like a banana and split... hee hee :lol:

Wow, John... sure glad I never took up bridge!

Great site, thanks for the link.

Jack

Interesting link, can anyone tell me more about the most recent listing, diver at Monterey Plaza Hotel beach in June 2006? Never heard about that. For those not familiar with the Monterey area, the Monterey Plaza is just "south" (actually, it is northwest due to the curve of the Monterey peninsula) of the Breakwater, probably the most dived shore dive in northern California, and just "north" (southeast, for same reason) of Lovers, another popular dive site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom