Average Speed for a Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilldiver:
Sorry to burst a lot of bubbles but what you think is 1 mile an hours is more like 1/4 mile an hour.

Here is something to think about.

The US Olympic trials cut mark for the 200 meter mens freestyle is 1:52:89. Call it 1 minute 53 seconds. This works out to 3.97 miles an hour. Now these guys are striped down to their spedos and have even shaved off all their body hair, or they are in the newer slick full body suits. They are also doing a full out sprint.

For a diver in the same physical condition with exposure suite, tanks, etc. doing a sprint might make it to 1.5 miles an hour.

But lets face it, not to many on this board have olympic class fitness conditions. I would imagin that almost all would be shot after a sprint at 1/2 knot for 60 to 90 seconds.

But divers have fins you might say - next time you are in the pool do 3 laps at full speed in your fins and see how much your legs burn.

For those who say they can go faster, I have been in 1 knot curent for deco hangs, it is not fun, a 1.5 knot curent is imposable to hold on in for more then a few minutes (that is why we have John Lines) and anything above that is not diveable unless you do a drift deco.

So, figure the avg diver will be between 1/8 and 1/4 miles per hour over any distance greater then 100 yards.

But you are forgetting those out there that have Salmon gene's and can swim upstream anywhere. :wink:

The Navy put working stationary in current for scuba at 1.5 knots and for the MK-5 at 3 knots. That's far below some bragging rights. :D

Gary D.

On our new years eve dive, I tried for fun seeing how fast I could swim for a few seconds on the way in...That plus the cold water, wow, it was like watchin' a V-8 full sized van suckin' gas so fast the guage just started sinkin. Plus I could only do it with full gear for a short distance. I don't see any reason to do that again! Just my .02, cant say what the speed was??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom