Automotive red rubber grease?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stonefish0

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried using automotive red rubber grease on the o rings of their dive equipment? Seeing how it's meant for lubricating and protecting rubber seals in vehicles, I wonder if it might have an application in dive equipment as well...

Boogie711:
Not on anything I want to breathe from! :11:

Seriously - some things I don't mind spending an extra buck or two for. Life support is one of them.

Hmm true. I was thinking more along the lines of torches and camera casings though. Food grade silicone it is for the stuff that goes in my mouth.

All of the lubes for diving gear are food grade and are a much better bet.

The auto stuff might work fine but then again it might not and is really not much cheaper if any.

Many divers just go straight to O2 compatable lube like Crystolube or Krytox for all of their gear service just for the added safety and simplicity of not having several different lubes on the bench.

pipedope:
All of the lubes for diving gear are food grade and are a much better bet.

The auto stuff might work fine but then again it might not and is really not much cheaper if any.

Many divers just go straight to O2 compatable lube like Crystolube or Krytox for all of their gear service just for the added safety and simplicity of not having several different lubes on the bench.

I know, I know...:) It's the scrooge in me asking coz the auto stuff is very much cheaper where I am...and I was wondering if I could save a buck by using it for frequently-lubed and re-lubed stuff like camera o rings. here the diving grease is about $10 for a quarter ounce and the auto stuff is about that price for a quart.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom