Automated dive flag product development and commercialization...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DC2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello scuba enthusiasts -

I am the owner of what I think – if I may say so – is a really cool product patent … but the challenge is it’s just a patent and I need to find partners or interested parties to help drive the concept through the product introduction cycle. The patent is for an ‘automated dive flag’ unit – it (a) automates the unwinding and rewinding of the dive line between the diver and the unit itself on the surface, and (b) it automatically moves on the surface of the water to remain in relative proximity above the diver at all times. The patent is pretty inclusive of other features within the scope of the system, but generally speaking the primary goal was to automate those two functions. Testing out the idea with a very crude prototype was the best – first in a swimming pool and then on a fresh water lake in Wisconsin. It worked perfectly.

The next step is developing a sexy, hydrodynamic, durable design for a commercially feasible product. This is where I could benefit from your input and ideas. To make a long-story-short, I have researched and spoke with many resources including ‘angel investors’, etc., but this is a product where someone needs to invest because they think it’s a cool idea and they want to be a part of it. This is not the kind of new product where any guarantee of ‘millions in three years’ is possible at the moment – which is understandably the interest of basically all formal investors, venture capitalists, etc.

Any assistance or direction you can offer to help me take that next step – to find those partners/resources willing and interested to invest in such an effort – is more than appreciated.

Below is a summary that I’ve used for informational purposes; although I know the patent documentation itself is not a quick read, it does have the detail we considered for the product and can be found at United States Patent: 7450471

Current dive flag units:

Generally consist of a ‘float’, like a buoy or tube (‘inner-tube’), with a dive flag mounted/supported so it can easily be seen by others as the float sits on top of the water.

Divers will hold onto a reel or line holder, which the dive line is wrapped around. As the diver descends, the diver must reel out or unwind the dive line from the holder. As the diver ascends, the diver must reel in or rewind the dive line around the holder.

Additionally, as the diver unwinds dive line from the holder, normal wave action will move the float away from the diver. If the diver wishes for the dive flag to be located more relative to (directly over) their actual position, the diver must rewind the dive line around the holder, to ‘take up the slack’ and ‘pull’ the dive flag towards them.

Having to use one hand to hang on to the dive line reel or holder is a disadvantage to a diver, as it ‘takes one hand away’ from the diver. Generally it takes both hands of a diver to reel in or rewind the dive line around the holder.

The requirement by the diver to use their hands to control the dive line can compromise safety, and make the dive experience cumbersome and awkward.

Patented product invention:

Motorized, hydrodynamic float that (1) automatically adjusts the dive line – reels it out or reels it in – based on the depth of the diver; and (2) automatically moves to maintain a position or location vertically relative to the actual location of the diver.

The differences (advantages) over the current dive flag units include:
  • hands-free diving
  • automatically provides a ‘slack free’ dive line – avoids diver tangling in dive line
  • automatic (vertical) movement of dive flag to maintain an orientation directly above the diver
All the above differences provide increased safety for the diver both below and above the surface of the water. The concept is also designed to provide greater comfort and diving control for the diver.

-- Thanks in advance,
DC2

Innovative Scuba Concepts in Colorado Springs might be worth a call.

Did the lake test include waves and current?

vid will be the major factor, patented it and youtube it for sales like jim say's cheap or show proof if cost is higher then traditional. I understand recent thread here, but a float is and has been around for 50+ years and really is no big deal to operate.

WOW talking about reinventing the wheel! Like Jim said it will be a hard sell if over $30, I use a lobster buoy style float and barley notice it in waves or wind and operating a reel is trivial once you know what you are doing. You are proposing having both hands for the dive, to do that the flag would have to be attached to you which i would not like at all.

I like the idea. On the bottom I can just clip it on and have two free hands for a change!

Couple of questions..... Will it hold up in Salt H2O? What is the cost? I'm not sure where the resistance is for me, I have an aluminium reel with a tension and lock. Cost me 40. I would pay double no problem for two free hands. Especially in a stiff current when hunting bugs or hogs.

Good luck.... great idea

Biggest problem i have with flag buoys is in current. Diving up in West Palm, the flag is often pulled underwater, and disappears from the surface. The white foam buoys, when they get pulled under a bit, completely compress and sink to the bottom. Other buoys create so much drag, it is impossible stop and look at something on the bottom.

Good luck with the motorized station keeping part. That would be huge.

I can be of assistance making it sexy. That's what I do for a living.

As far as funding. Once you get the project a little further along you can raise funding from crowd-funding sites like Kickstarter or Indiegogo. This will let you target your market directly. It will also give you good feedback if divers feel the project is necessary. My wife and I are doing this right now with a dog leash project. indiegogo.com/konalu

Thank you for the reply. I've reached out to Innovative Scuba Concepts in the past with no reply - not sure if it's no interest or just a timing issue. The lake test did include waves and current, but it was a crude prototype that we tested so it really didn't give us much data in this area as we expect a commercial solution to be of a more appropriate design. Being able to withstand considerable wave/current action is a specification that is required, and I believe very feasible. -- DC2

---------- Post Merged at 12:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Thank you for your feedback. -- DC2

---------- Post Merged at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Thank you for your feedback. -- DC2

---------- Post Merged at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Thank you for your feedback. The proposition does include the dive line be attached to the diver, but this is completed using a quick/emergency release that is strong enough to stay connected during normal operation, but in an emergency or if the flag were to be snagged by a boat the line would be easily pulled (by diver) or automatically disconnected (tension force from motorized vehicle on surface) from the diver. -- DC2

---------- Post Merged at 12:56 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Thank you -- your comments and experiences are exactly why this product was invented. In addition, the purpose is not only to solve the flag management and location issues automatically, but to also be able to dive completely hands free. -- DC2

---------- Post Merged at 12:59 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:25 PM ----------

00wabbit - I will keep you in mind for the design aesthetics! I appreciate your feedback regarding Indiegogo and Kickstarter. I did check them out - I feel I might be a better fit for Kickstarter ... but with my project I'm not sure what I could offer for promotions ... I'm thinking about this. I hope to have the opportunity to bring this product to life. -- DC2

The hands free part is a good idea but most people can do that now. Having the float moving so it is directly above would be a great help to those in a strong current but not too important to the rest. If the price is too high the average person will not buy it. This would be a great system if you could incorporate GPS into the float so if the diver finds something underwater the exact location would be known for future reference. This would take it out of the low price range needed for the average diver but I think you may already be out of that range. If you can make this work with GPS you could market this to a much smaller group but at a much higher price. How close to "exactly" above the diver do you think this float can get? At what point would the current be too strong for the float to keep up?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom