Autoimmune problem/chronic dehydration...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Americana_Mama

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, just started my scuba training and thought I'd throw out a question or two. I have this autoimmune problem where my eyes & mouth are constantly dry and irritated. I'm almost always mildly dehydrated. Because of this, my body holds on to water like a sponge and with that, it throws my sodium levels off (low-normal). I could drink water until the cows come home and never feel satiated. It's ridiculous, but there it is. Have read some articles about the physiological effects the body undergoes while diving- amazing and a little nerve wrecking. The last thing I want to do is mess myself up diving. What would you suggest I do regarding the dehydration issue?

Pax,
robin

Mild dehydration? Dive conservatively. Max one no-deco dive a day is a good start. Use oxygen enriched air but dive as it were air (BUT adjust max depth).

You can slowly increase depth and duration and get a feel how your body reacts. If you feel tired after the dive, then either it was a physical dive, perheaps cold, or then you have too much bubbles in your blood and must do slower ascents.

You choose. I am not a doctor (do consult one, a hyperbaric expert). Not my fault if you die.

Hello Mama,

Are you sure about your hydration status? Decreased sodium levels typically indicate acute overhydration, which would jibe with your description of drinking water until the cows come home. As I understand primary Sjogren's syndrome the salivary glands are affected, which can make you feel thirsty, but overall hydration level is not, unless you have some other medical issue to go along with it.

Anybody else feel free to jump in and add details or corrections. TSandM, how's your rheumatology?

Best regards,
DDM

You guys are all awesome!!! Thanks for taking the time and interest to offer your thoughts. The first day of training the pool felt so freaking cold at 80f!!! Having Raynaud's a bit, the water left me all mottled and shivering- felt like a sissy with the way I was complaining! LOL!!! The maximum depth of that pool was like 12' or so. A little a side here, but man how my ears could feel it getting closer to the bottom...hooo-hahhh! I'll be clearing my ears much earlier my next dive. At a relatively "shallow" depth of 12', do I need to ascend slow or moderate. Things I'm unsure on I want to get straight before the next class.

I'm learning so much from this board! So appreciate the posts! I work out probably 4-5 times a week & I didn't know a thing about proper hydration or rest until reading some posts here. Heck, not a clue that traveling by air and then diving could be bad on the body. I have a yearly physical coming up, so I'll nail down the whole dehydration and low sodium bit. I also take a medication that can also cause low sodium, so that'll need to be teased out further.

Also, you say dehydration. Do you feel thirsty or are you dehydrated? There IS a difference...especially when medical conditions are involved.

My mouth is always dry. Now maybe I assume much by stating that I'm "dehydrated". In the past I had to drink so much more than the normal person to simply fill the ol' bladder for ultrasounds. My rheumatologist had asked me if I was over doing it in drinking water because of my sodium level, so I don't know. Need to get all that squared away. I know there are conditions that are comorbid with autoimmune disorders that can cause problems like this, i.e., hypothyroid, lupus and the like. Sometimes folks can have a problem where a hormone causes a fluid retention and low sodium. The body can be veryyyy strange.

Mama,

It probably wouldn't hurt to get checked out by a diving physician once your rheumatologist has more answers for you. From what you've written here I can't think of anything related to this particular disorder that would cause you problems on relatively shallow certification dives, but of course I don't know the whole picture so don't take that as gospel. Re your ascents from 12 feet: you fight like you train, so it's best to ascend at the rate prescribed by your instructor and your certification agency.

Best regards,
DDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom