Author needing some assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuck. Was that the Farallon Shark Dart?

Yes. The same guy that started Farallon started Tekna... Ralph Shamlin. I can't remember the sequence and there might have been a third company in there someplace. He developed some innovative products but was not financially successful enough to survive. I wasn't following the recreational market in those days so others would probably know a lot more about it.

Bob Hollis bought some or all of the company about the time that Oceanic Products evolved from an underwater photography product manufacturer into Oceanic, a full-line Scuba gear manufacturer. Bob and Ralph were on opposite sides of San Francisco Bay. The photo above is from the 1973 expedition to the Andrea Doria.

That might be the case for some bang-sticks. There were quite a few different ones out there in the 1960s & 70s. Most were made in very small volumes and DIY. I remember a lot of tiny ads in the back of Skin Diver Magazine from companies nobody ever heard of.

On a related note, there was also a stick that was basically a huge compressed air hypodermic syringe... made by Tekna as I recall. It worked if you hit the shark in the right place. This is the result from injecting it around the area of the gills.

That is one odd photo; those are it's gills? It looks like that shark was trying to eat a commercial quantity of spaghetti without chewing and puked it back up.

Back
Top Bottom