Author needing some assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Author-DBM

Registered
Reaction score
Hi folks! My hubby is the scuba diver in the house, I just make up stories and put them into books. :wink:

I've been doing research for my next mystery book and thought this might be a good place to get the best and most accurate help. Yes, it's fiction but I also prefer to keep the details as realistic as possible.

I have most of "my" story in my account bio here, feel free to browse it if you have nothing else to do today. I'm off to search threads and if I don't find what I need, then I'll post my specific question (HINT: bang sticks).

Thanks!

Hi folks! My hubby is the scuba diver in the house, I just make up stories and put them into books. :wink:

I've been doing research for my next mystery book and thought this might be a good place to get the best and most accurate help. Yes, it's fiction but I also prefer to keep the details as realistic as possible.

I have most of "my" story in my account bio here, feel free to browse it if you have nothing else to do today. I'm off to search threads and if I don't find what I need, then I'll post my specific question (HINT: bang sticks).

Thanks!
Welcome aboard. I've helped authors out with firearms questions in the past, I'd be happy to extend that to scuba. There have certainly been some howlers in books I've read. For example, the diving in the SF book Wool was so bad, I gave up on it. To be fair, I was close to quitting that anyway due to any number of factual impossibilities, but the diving scenes were the tipping point.

Which brings us to bang sticks. Scuba diver today basically never carry them. Most of us have never even seen one. There would have to be a specific, compelling reason for a diver to have one on a dive. Something like diving in a private gator reserve.

Welcome aboard. I've helped authors out with firearms questions in the past, I'd be happy to extend that to scuba. There have certainly been some howlers in books I've read. For example, the diving in the SF book Wool was so bad, I gave up on it. To be fair, I was close to quitting that anyway due to any number of factual impossibilities, but the diving scenes were the tipping point.

Which brings us to bang sticks. Scuba diver today basically never carry them. Most of us have never even seen one. There would have to be a specific, compelling reason for a diver to have one on a dive. Something like diving in a private gator reserve.

Thanks, I'm very fortunate to have many LEO friends who help me with accuracy. I haven't read Wool but understand the feeling. I worked with my husband to add accuracy to my one mystery book with diving. It may have just been a cozy mystery but I prefer realistic details, even in fiction. I had several forensic folks double-check my accuracy in my first police procedural written, just in case. LOL!

I'm still working on the scenario for this murder. One of the main characters is being framed for the murder, it was his bang stick used. While he does dive, my current thought is the bang stick might be his dad's from earlier years? Loved the info on the Seaway that I read in here.

I'm still working on the scenario for this murder. One of the main characters is being framed for the murder, it was his bang stick used. While he does dive, my current thought is the bang stick might be his dad's from earlier years? Loved the info on the Seaway that I read in here.
That would work. You might want to read this thread: Vintage Bang Stick..

Scubaboard has a few members who were around in the early years of diving and are happy to provide info. We'll make sure to rope them in when you need it.

Edit to add: This article has lots of photos showing the different types: Bangsticks: 'Primitive' tools for primitive predators (VIDEOS) :: Guns.com

That would work. You might want to read this thread: Vintage Bang Stick..

Scubaboard has a few members who were around in the early years of diving and are happy to provide info. We'll make sure to rope them in when you need it.

Edit to add: This article has lots of photos showing the different types: Bangsticks: 'Primitive' tools for primitive predators (VIDEOS) :: Guns.com

That was my thought when I read about the Seaway...but right now I have a whole body rather than two. LOL! Wondering how to work that out with it. I have the Primitive link saved in my research, too. Good link.

Oh, and I have sent a convo request with @Sam Miller III, too.

I just downloaded Paradise Down (I have a Kindle Unlimited subscription). Anyone who takes this much trouble with details deserves a read. :)

I have a 357mag bangstick for gator hunting. We're not allowed to use guns in FL, so it's either that or a knife and cajones.... I download my own bangstick ammo to prevent unnecessary damage.

I hate the things. There's nothing like the fear of blowing a hole in your boat in the middle of a gator infested swamp while trying to do battle with one....

I just downloaded Paradise Down (I have a Kindle Unlimited subscription). Anyone who takes this much trouble with plot points deserves a read. :)

Aww, thank you. Feel free to PM me with anything you think is out of order!

I have a 357mag bangstick for gator hunting. We're not allowed to use guns in FL, so it's either that or a knife and cajones.... I download my own bangstick ammo to prevent unnecessary damage.

I hate the things. There's nothing like the fear of blowing a hole in your boat in the middle of a gator infested swamp while trying to do battle with one....

I can believe that! Who knows...that may become something in a future book. :wink:

I have carried and tested bang sticks while diving shotgun for a friend and yacht owner who was spearfishing in sharky waters in Mexico — lots of sea lions and whiteies were prowling. Not much to tell. You hit something fairly big and it blows a hole about the size of a large fist. Hitting a smaller fish, like 24" long, didn't have enough resistance to trigger it, at least the ones I was using.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom