Aussie Diving 1st Feb to 15th Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey, new thread is a bit late! Anyway, I wrote up a trip report for my trip to Mt Gambier last weekend so here it is :)

Left early from work on Friday to head up to Mt Gambier for my first post-course cavern diving. There are two ways to get there so me and my buddy each went one different way to see which was faster as we'd gotten all sorts of different advice from people. Ballarat is definitely the fastest so glad I picked that way :) I went the other way on the way back though, but it took longer even though the traffic was less and I had one less break.

We planned for the first day to do two dives at Kilsby Cave, our favourite dive from the course. We followed the GPS there and ended up on a track clearly not designed for anything other than fourwheel drives, which was quite traumatic for my car, but luckily made it there with 4 minutes to spare after driving up and down a road for a while to try to find the right gate! The diving there was amazing, and it was so relaxing not to have to worry about things such as having my mask stolen or surprise OOA drills. Also as there was only two of us I didn't have to worry about watching out for a team of four like on the course. We did two hour long dives, max depth of 30m but we stayed shallow and out of the cave bit for most of it as the sunlight coming into the opening was beautiful. We found a few swimthroughs, which were fun to go through. The second dive was even more fun, and I hung out doing my stops in the light, couldn't see anything as it was too bright but it was like being in space!

Cave opening glowing
4336621859_a6451ef1cc.jpg

Buddy on a stop acting like a water dragon
4337370914_eb5d5be6df.jpg

Buddy inside the cave part
4336620169_a3e2276bf2.jpg

We went to the pub nearby to try to get some food after this but the bartender said 'this is the country luv, we don't serve food all day like your fancy city pubs!' So we played some pool and then got some tea back at the dive lodge and got ready for a night dive at Ewens Ponds. I found them overrated to be honest and I definitely don't think worth driving all that way just to dive them so I am glad I didn't go on past trips. Apparently they used to be a lot better but are overdived now? It was fun to be in such clear water and to see the stars under the water though. My buddy is an avid freediver so he freedived whilst I did a dive. Saw lots of creepy eels, yabbies and fish. At one point I wanted to see how deep the silt was so stuck my hand under only to see a giant eel emerge, scared the crap out of me!

Yabbie
4336630669_2abe9a0431.jpg

Long exposure shot (30s) of Ewens Ponds as it was nearly dark
4336630125_61679dc2d6.jpg

Creepy eel
4336631057_ea31c8e014.jpg

After the dive we headed back to the lodge as per the GPS and got horribly horribly lost. It was getting pretty close to midnight and we had to be up at 6am the next day for diving so was a fairly frustrating experience. In the end we ended up in the pitch black in the middle of the bush with long grass all around us and no way to turn around. In the end my buddy got out and stamped all the long grass down so I could turn around but yea, again my car got a good scrubbing on the underside trying to get out of there! Think if I keep up this diving I'm going to have to invest in a more robust car. Also we'd been talking about horror movies before hand so I was expecting at any moment for mutant rednecks to jump out of the grass and kidnap us. We got home very late and the next day it was quite painful to get out of bed but we had to be in the water at a new site, Piccanninie Ponds, by 8am as we booked that time slot. I'm glad we started early though as we were the only ones in the park.

This dive was probably my absolute favourite so far up in Mt Gambier. We jumped in the water to see a fairly boring looking pond and I was thinking 'where is the cave???' I knew it had to be somewhere as I had pictures/instructions from friends. I saw a kind of weedy area so swum over to it and unexpectedly emerged to 'The Chasm' which is a 65m+ deep (not sure how far they've mapped it yet) chasm, crystal clear visibility and amazing plantlife! We were awestruck for a bit and just hung out for a bit looking. We made our way through the Chasm into 'The Cathedral' which is a small cave type area with lovely limestone structures - it's quite dark apart from a few small openings that had light streaming through. We did a fairly shallow dive of 28m. On the way back the water was less clear with floating algae but it was still lovely. This was definitely my favourite site so far and I'm regretting buying an individual dive permit rather than an annual one now as we want to dive this next time too! I took a bunch of pictures but it does the place no justice at all.

Big tall weeds that open up into the Chasm
4336633809_c263c37dea.jpg

Taken from about 25m, really nice viz, can see for miles!
4336634815_a63c52abd7.jpg

Inside the Cathedral
4337381890_2c8f7776c7.jpg

Me inside Cathedral
4337380186_e48f37a550.jpg

After some lunch, and another getting lost experience with our GPS (I think out of the 1400km~ I did on this trip in the two days, about 100km of those were getting lost from our GPSs telling us to go down non-existant roads :p, I'm really glad our instructor showed us how to get to some sites as they are really hard to recognise from the road), we went back to one of the sites we did on our course called Little Blue. We wanted to dive another site called One Tree but we didn't bring ropes to get in and also I think it was a fire ban day and diving isn't allowed there on fire ban days. This site has quite bad visibility and the ground is full of rubbish that the locals have chucked in (it's right near a road), but that is actually interesting rather than annoying. After some odd looks of bystanders at us gearing up (it was 33C and the water was 12C at depth so we were in thick thermals and our drysuits, looking like we were going to pass out), we jumped in for a dive. I was too hot to get down to the water in my full thermals so had downgraded them slightly and started regretting this on the bottom! But it was a nice dive and we found lots of old street signs to tie off onto and we found the car at the bottom too. There was a thermocline at 10m where it was 24C! So our stops were lovely and warm. This site will be fun to explore (we've only done a fraction) in future though I think it will be better in winter when the algae dies and also we are not mauled by flies the whole time on the surface.

Old rubbish to tie off onto
4337389130_3683f6219e.jpg

Chilling out after our dives
4336649481_168e9a78ba.jpg

Anyway, going to take another trip up in March as my buddy wants to do his Cave course in April before he goes back to Mexico so needs some more practice. Also Michael will certified then too :)

We got out for one dive last Saturday and it turned out to be my last dive with the 50D/Subal rig as when we got home from the dive there was the loan Aquatica 7D and accessories sitting in a Pelican case on our front doorstep (good thing Exmouth has a very low crime rate :) ). Conditions were pretty terrible and once again we were limited to Bundegi Reef. I was shooting the 10-17 behind the 4" Zen dome again. Didn't get anything I was terribly proud of but here are two of my best:

783702077_wZM5Q-M.jpg

783702012_LnRCu-M.jpg

For Sunday's dive I decided to keep it simple (new camera & new housing) so I just put my 60 macro on the 7D and concentrated on fish shots while I got used to the new rig. We managed to get our first dive in on Blizzard Ridge in Lighthouse Bay ( the first non-Bundegi dive in 7 dives) but the wind blew up from the SW during the surface interval so it was back to Bundegi again for the second dive. :( Here's a few of my first attempts with the new rig:

783734276_6bCEK-M.jpg

783734247_tmzLa-L.jpg

783734311_mSN43-M.jpg

783734263_TPj33-L.jpg

783734299_kyrxy-M.jpg

783734310_h3u7g-M.jpg

excellent shot of the blue spotted grouper!

Great report Sas. I have to agree with your assessment of Ewen Ponds... been there done that.. don't plan to go back... I figured a night dive would be interesting but it was kewl laying on the bottom and looking at the clouds in the sky! Amazing viz.. great to experience ONCE.. we didn't see much to look at in any of the ponds and it was bloomin cold!

Love the shots Sas.. the ones looking into the cave mouth are lovely.

Gudge nothing you are proud of.. :doh: love your shots! Thanks for sharing... now I will have to put in my pitiful offering!

We did an evening dive on the 2nd. Could not believe how good the traffic was... I only got 1 red light the entire trip and I was there in no time.

The tide was out.. the lowest we have ever seen it. This is the channel where we often get in when conditions allow.... fish walking right out to the sheltering rock... barely got our feet wet.. often waves break over the sheltering rock
443-003Medium.jpg

When we dived there last night... at this particular spot Fish was up to his chest in water!

Viz was pretty awful.. down to one M or less in spots! It was one of those dives where everything goes wrong. Got out my camera for a pic... and it wasn't working right. I can't see the symbols underwater to reset it so I collected the "redundant camera" fish was carrying in his pocket for me. It wasn't focusing right but ... :idk: gave it a go.

Then I started having ear problems.. so had to dive midwater in the current trying to equalize.. figured I would just hang there and check out the higher rocks and stuff. Then it happened... Fish found a photo subject I couldn't resist... a tiny baby Dwarf Lionfish
443-815-Medium.jpg
At this point the camera batteries died!... back to the original camera and I tried to set the thing underwater by guess and by golly! Took a few shots with my fingers crossed

443-820-Medium.jpg

I did like this shot of the Octopus
443-810-Medium.jpg

I tried playing with the light a bit... but my torch doesn't give anywhere near the effect Gudge does with backlighting his subjects with strobes.. but it was trying for something different
443-758BMedium.jpg

Did a midweek dive last night... well.... getting there was a nightmare.. several car accidents had traffic at a stand still... I got excited when I managed to get speeded up to almost 90 KM hr slower than the posted speed!

Fish had trouble with an air leak on his recently replaced Occy..he debated canning the dive but we convinced him to join us and we would do a short dive. Got in to the water super late due to all the delays. This dive was a delight... viz not good diving on the high tide but heaps of critters to look at.

Still have to figure out what is going with the camera but it was lovely and restful and warm.. *sigh* what diving is all about.. and since fish doesn't go through much air.. even with his leak we got 91 minutes and he still had air:)

The EBD was under a rock and as usual making life hard on us.. you can see it.. but it darts back under the ledge stirring up silt and hovering just out of reach where you can see those lovely colours but you just can't get the camera in position where you can see where it is and when it is in focus and get the shot before it turns another direction.

444-907-Large.jpg
There is some slight comfort in the fact that people with strobes and big cameras normally have no hope of getting shots of these secretive guys.

I found another juvenile Dwarf Lionfish.. but this was bigger than the one last wekk by a fair bit
444-918Large.jpg

The Sole was quite a find thanks to our dive buddy

444-923Large.jpg

I love Morays and this dive offered up a couple... the young one was quite cute and curious about the camera and torch.. and there were octopus all over

Attachments

• 444-819- (Large).jpg
    444-819- (Large).jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 444-820-C (Large).jpg
    444-820-C (Large).jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 444-853 (Large).JPG
    444-853 (Large).JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 444-864 (Large).JPG
    444-864 (Large).JPG