Aussie Diving 16 - 30 December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I've gotten out for some dives lately and I HAVE A CAMERA!!!!

Last weekend on Saturday I got to dive with Underwater Ogre again (and burna and a few other buddies) and I had a great time. We first snorkelled with the seals which was ok... (somehow we ended up on a boat full of snorkellers...) They smell disgusting though!
4197389104_75c593d9ab.jpg

Then we dived Pope's Eye and the conditions were great! We got to go around the entire horseshoe in what was a really long period of slack water. The current only picked up again as we were heading back which worked out well. There were tonnes of fish around and the visibility was great!

Ogre + a stingray
4196636951_30997941ff.jpg

Big friendly wrasse
4197394414_93bbf9cb9f.jpg

Pair of Old Wives
4196642475_d891b4aef7.jpg

We then followed this with a pier dive at Portsea and I was trying out my gear for cavern. The surge was atrocious - pushing us forward 3m and back again and I had really floaty feet so ended the dive exhausted. There were some weedies and a few other things so Ogre had a good time at least, even if I was a bit uncomfortable!

On Sunday I had Cavern class in the pool and that was heaps of fun. We did lots of exercises such as running line, reeling in maskless and sharing air and our instructor would entangle us to make things more difficult. Then learning valve drills, anti-silting techniques, and so on. Really fun day and I am looking forward to Mt Gambier on Boxing day!

Me doing secondary tie off
4199544396_708bb4faf3.jpg

Heading out of the pool cave
4198794079_c9966f343b.jpg

Entangled!
4198792771_d92a4109ec.jpg

The result of my first attempt to reel in line without a mask - took 30mins at home to fix it later :blush:
4198784521_17b4c6cd34.jpg

We first snorkelled with the seals which was ok... (somehow we ended up on a boat full of snorkellers...) They smell disgusting though!

Well there you go...I thought the stink was coming from the seals!! :rofl3:

Well there you go...I thought the stink was coming from the seals!! :rofl3:

:rofl3::rofl3:

I'm off to the Great Barrier Reef this Sunday woohoo!!!!! Will be nice to not wear a wetsuit! :)

We got out for one dive last Saturday on Bundegi Reef inside Exmouth Gulf . I was using the Tokina 10-17 fisheye lens again. Here's a few of my favourite shots from the dive:

Big Eye Trevally schooling around the bommies:
744573566_AuCdb-M.jpg

Looking straight down on top of some coral:
744573587_m7rMf-M.jpg

Coral Trout:
744573559_t7VLf-M.jpg

Pair of Batfish:
744545616_gFXME-M.jpg

More Batfish coming out of the sun:
744573542_LX6Xp-L.jpg

Soft Coral:
745028444_AR5pt-L.jpg

I'm off to the Great Barrier Reef this Sunday woohoo!!!!! Will be nice to not wear a wetsuit! :)

Enjoy your trip Fredaroony! :)

Thanks again Sas!! 2 thumbs up on the dives. I really had a great time. My dive the next day was cancelled...too much wind :( Oh well...

I am going to try to get a few more dives in before I head north.

Have a Happy Holidats everyone...time to go surfing!:D

Attachments

• IMG 5.jpg
    IMG 5.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG 4.jpg
    IMG 4.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 46
where north are you heading Ogre?? ... just about all of oz is north of melbourne!

Hey all, good to have been directed to the Aus section, and see other Melbourne divers out there. We dived popes a few weeks ago. The boat was 90 minutes late leaving Portsea thanks to an instructor spending way too long in the shop going through course material that should already have been covered so we got hit with a huge current when we rounded the horseshoe! Can anyone spell roller coaster? The dive was fun but tiring as the current was so strong!

Thanks again Sas!! 2 thumbs up on the dives. I really had a great time. My dive the next day was cancelled...too much wind :( Oh well...

I am going to try to get a few more dives in before I head north.

Have a Happy Holidats everyone...time to go surfing!:D

Oh that sucks :( Yea I heard Sunday got really rough! It actually looked better than Sat for diving but I guess that is Melb weather...

Anyway, I had a great time too, enjoy your surfing!

Hey all, good to have been directed to the Aus section, and see other Melbourne divers out there. We dived popes a few weeks ago. The boat was 90 minutes late leaving Portsea thanks to an instructor spending way too long in the shop going through course material that should already have been covered so we got hit with a huge current when we rounded the horseshoe! Can anyone spell roller coaster? The dive was fun but tiring as the current was so strong!

Hi ThePir8! Welcome to the Australia section :) Yea I know what you mean about the boat running late, ours was really late as well :( But we actually got lucky and the lateness meant we were diving Pope's on slack. There is generally a lot of current at that site so it meant this time I could go around the entire horseshoe without any drama! And also the fish were staying put :wink: I have to say though the bit when you go around the horseshoe in a current is HEAPs of fun though, just not the rest of the dive where you are going against the current :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom