Aurora Reservoir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is that time of the year! For me, it's always that time of the year. :D

But I'm jammed until classes end, after 5/3.

I would love to begin getting wet in our frigid lakes around Denver. I'm up in Longmont but don't mind making the trip down to Aurora. Let me know when you're thinking about going and I'll probably be game.

Russ

Russ -- would you be interested in diving Carter Lake Reservoir? It's closer, cheaper, not as crowded, and almost as good (bad) as Aurora.

The dive beach is primitive. Surface water temp right now is probably in the mid-50's, with a colder thermocline somewhere below. I could do a dive at Carter Lake Res on short notice, and we could carpool.

glenn

Aurora res is at 55 degrees surface temp, temp at the plane 34 feet is 46 degrees, temp at 58 feet is 39 degrees. as of when i went last, april 12th 2012

The surface temperature was 57 degrees on May 5, according to fish explorer. I just finished my open water cert this weekend, so I'm looking forward to trying out Aurora in a couple weeks.

So at what temp do people start venturing in in a wetsuit? I'm really missing Bermuda water temps (and viz!) but am anxious to get back in the water! Russ - I'm also in Longmont. Maybe we could carpool to Aurora sometime.

g2 -- I'm good with Carter as well. I'm hoping it will warm a little more b4 taking the plunge. Are you diving dry?

---------- Post added May 10th, 2012 at 12:34 PM ----------

Lisa, carpooling would be a great idea. I'm all for it. I'm wondering the samething about wetsuits. I don't have a drysuit yet so looking at timeframe for little less freezing water.

So at what temp do people start venturing in in a wetsuit? I'm really missing Bermuda water temps (and viz!) but am anxious to get back in the water! Russ - I'm also in Longmont. Maybe we could carpool to Aurora sometime.
That would depend on the thickness of your wetsuit and your tolerance for being cold. I doubt you'd find local water above 70 by the end of the summer and by then the vis is usually shot to hell as the algae blooms. When my shop does OW at Chatfield we put the students in 7mm all summer and some of them still complain about the cold when the water's 70ish, so your mileage may vary.

On the bright side, what a perfect time to invest in a dry suit, and welcome to CO! =)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom