aurora res.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlieo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I understand that Auroro Res opens on May 1 for diving. Is anyone interested in diving the weekend of May 6?

charlieo:
I understand that Auroro Res opens on May 1 for diving. Is anyone interested in diving the weekend of May 6?

Sounds good to me. Better viz, fewer people, cold water.

Dan

Which day are you thinking? I have a new drysuit I'm wanting to try out. Sunday would work better for me, but I think I could make either day. Let me know!!

bikefox:
Which day are you thinking? I have a new drysuit I'm wanting to try out. Sunday would work better for me, but I think I could make either day. Let me know!!

Charlieo can't make it. Sunday is OK. Since they are forecasting afternoon thunder showers, I would suggest Sunday morning. How does 9:30 sound? PM me.

Dan

ddavies:
Charlieo can't make it. Sunday is OK. Since they are forecasting afternoon thunder showers, I would suggest Sunday morning. How does 9:30 sound? PM me.

Dan

I MIGHT be interested in going. Frank, are you going for sure?

You can PM me or post to the thread. 9:30 would work for me assuming I go.

With gas prices as they are it's not even cheap to drive my truck to Aurora! :shakehead

How cold is Aurora Res? I really would like to get in the water, over 8-ft deep (LDS pool) and check out the trim on my new BC. I'm having a hard time clearing my calendar for 2-3 days to make it down to Blue Hole. But, I don't have much for cold water exposure suit. I'll have to check, I think I have a 1/4" 2-piece suit (from the old days, before we accepted the metric system) but I'm not sure it even fits. BTW, I'm from Colo Spgs, and sure would like to meet some of the other Colo divers. Would this be a 2-tank dive? How deep does one typically dive? I've never been to Aroura Res (since they don't let ya waterski on it...not even sure if you can power boat on it).

Waterskier1:
How cold is Aurora Res? I really would like to get in the water, over 8-ft deep (LDS pool) and check out the trim on my new BC. I don't have much for cold water exposure suit. Would this be a 2-tank dive? How deep does one typically dive?

I can not predict the water temp, but I'm guessing in the low 60's high 50's coldest at depth. I have an XL 7mm if someone wants to borrow a suit. I also have an 7mm XL core warmer with hood. Sizing is like O'Neill. Renting is also an option. A wetsuit rental is usually in the $10 range.

The suggestion has been to arrive at 9:30AM. In the water MAYBE by 10:30AM. We can change the time to accommodate people who have a bit farther to drive, or whatever.

Aurora has a VERY messed up system where you have to get a placard, and key ($5 last year). Then you drive to the site, unload, return to the parking lot, and walk back. Tear down is in reverse order.

Typical day at Aurora, is meet in the parking lot. Load up one Truck, or wagon train to the site. Unload, take the truck(s) back. Setup. Gearup.

Hit the plane for the first dive. 35feet max. Generally spend maybe 10~15 minutes on the plane, and then do an UW swim back to shore.

Second dive is usually just in the weeds spotting DADS. They grown them BIG. Max depth maybe 25feet.

I have a 10x10 Canopy that will keep SOME rain off us and gear. We can picnic, or grab a bit after the dive, or just part ways.

I generally use one tank for two dives, and dive times are usually not over 40 minutes.

I have been in contact with bikefox and we had agreed to meet at 9:30 Sunday. I was going to get the key.

Ron,
I had not expected you would want to dive Aurora when we are going to hit Blue Hole next week. You must really be needing to get wet. Glad you can make it. See you Sunday.

Ok, I'm going to check out the old wet suit, and if it looks plausable, I join all of you Sunday. I'll post later tonight or tomorrow morning on my findings (including if I can find the suit!).

Back
Top Bottom