August 18 trip to Trysler Grounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
Got an Invite from Gary to join him on a 3-tank Trysler Grounds hunting/spearfishing trip. This is only my second time out there and, like Gen. MacArthur, I shall return.

The Trysler grounds are hard bottom/ledges running NW/SE about 20 miles from the AL/FL state line. Top of the reef was 118' and the bottom was 126'. Water temps were HOT on top (82o) and nice below (78o). Vis was 60' + . There is a snot layer from 10' to 20' and clear below. The gulf was flat calm.

I was after lobsters - either spiny or shovelnose. We dropped in pairs as a live boat and hit at least 6 different parts of the reef. All areas are covered in lionfish. Easily in the scores of the pesky invaders.

My first drop found me chasing shovelnose amongst the lionfish, and spotted morays. the bottom was relatively flat, with holes and cracks where the critters hid. I caught one bug and missed another. The scenery was breathtaking. Diving EAN30, I had about 19mins bottom time. I did a slow ascent and hit the surface with plenty of air to find the boat waiting for me. During the surface interval, we were entertained by a medium sized loggerhead turtle and a pod of dolphin.

My second drop found me landing on a similar bottom, and I swam the wrong direction for several minutes looking in tiny cracks and holes for prey before reversing course and finding a 6' ledge with undercuts and branching (dead) coral. It looks much like the E coast of Florida in miniature and twice as deep. I got skunked on the prey on this dive, but watched several jacks, snapper and a large group swim by.

Third drop only gave me 12mins bottom time. It simply was not enough. Again, I was on a 6' ledge looking in holes and cracks for shovelnose. I found one straight away, but ran low on time before finding any more. Simply breathtaking relief for offshore Pensacola where I'm used to seeing sand desert everywhere. Saw 2 huge cowries in the rock, a large torpedo ray and jacks and snapper. And the ever-present lionfish.

Gary is a fine host and the spearfisherpeople were great to dive with. I think we ended up with 16 shovelnose, a couple of red grouper, a scamp and some big eye snapper, and a half dozen or so large lionfish for sashimi. Beautiful day on the water!

Nice catch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom